Talk Paralysis: Caused by Lack of Skill or ... Jealousy?

Anubis

I ask because I recently bumped into an interesting definition of jealousy:

Jealousy is when you look at a person's success and see injustice in fact that you were never "given" the ability to match that person's success. This creates a seemingly uncontrollable and PARALYZING desire to sabotage that person's success (it's almost like a psuedo-protest against the heavens to let your feelings of unjust be known).

This definition kinda struck a chord with me, but in an indirect way. I admit, I do get very jealous at times and wish ill-will on people, but I don't actually go out and ruin people's lives (like others do). Instead, I may have a more secretive way of exerting my jealousy. And it may be through an "unconscious" desire to sabotage other people's discussions by appearing unable to communicate. The logic is - "If I can't communicate as effectively and gracefully as others, then why should I give people the privilege of allowing them to do so when they're in my presence." The sight of them effortlessly maneuvering and manipulating the conversation may appear so painful that you just don't want to see it. So you seek to do anything that may cause them to stumble ... even if it means sabotaging yourself. Now I know it may sound like I'm saying our "inability to talk" is pre-meditated but I don't believe I am. It seems to be more of an "unconscious" effect.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. The topic of "talk paralysis" just interests me. It's hard to explain in words, but you know it when you experience it. And sometimes I feel like it's caused by more than just "not knowing what to say".

Feel free to respond with your opinions.

Last edited: