Taking an SSRI - Second Thoughts

chris87

I was just wondering if anyone that has taken/takes an SSRI has had a similar feeling...

My psychiatrist recommended that I try Lexapro for my anxiety and OCD. I've been really hesitant to try medicine, because I'm scared about the long-term effects (if there are ones). I finally decided to give it a try, and I took my first dose yesterday morning. The whole day, I was slightly depressed, because I couldn't stop thinking that maybe I don't need to take medicine, that my problems aren't as bad as I think, and that I am overreacting and taking too drastic of a measure by resorting to a pill. I don't really know why I feel this way, but I suppose I'm just kind of scared. I'm the type that if I take medicine, I will spend the whole day thinking about it, wondering if my body is getting harmed, or if side effects are appearing. It would be too stressful and counterproductive for me to spend every day wondering if the medicine is causing any adverse effects. I guess this could be from my OCD, but I don't know.

Has anyone else had second thoughts about taking medication? Have you felt that maybe your problems are not that bad and your mind is trying to convince you that taking a pill is excessive? I actually feel guilty for taking an SSRI. At first I wanted a doctor to tell me to try medicine, but now that I have the opportunity, I just feel so lost.

Slothrop

Taking an SSRI isn't drastic. It may feel that way since you've never taken one and don't know what to expect, but tens of millions of people take them without much trouble, usually to some positive effect. They aren't a magic cure at all, but they can be very helpful, and it's definitely worth trying it and seeing how you feel. You can always quit later.

Remember, too, that they're prescribed so often in large part because they're generally regarded as safe and not known to cause any long-term side effects or harm. It's well-known that they have some short-term side effects, but those only last a few weeks, and what few side effects may persist go away within a few weeks after you stop taking it. Again, you can always quit.

As it happens, I have a close friend that recently started taking Lexapro, and she had a pretty bad week or so at first, but she's through that and feeling better now. Pretty typical experience. I'll suggest to you what I suggested to her, which is to treat this time like you've got the flu or something. Take it easy, rest as much as you feel like, and generally give yourself a break from your normal responsibilities insofar as you can. The bad part will pass, and then you'll start to feel the effect, and can better judge whether you think it's good for you or not.

josh23

I've been taking SSRIs for about a year now and my OCD has gone from completely controlling my life to being almost non-existent. After going from Prozac to Zoloft and then on to Paxil (which worked real well at 60mg for a few months.. but mysteriously stopped working), I have finally settled on Lexapro. My psychiatrist has me at 30mg, which seems to do the trick. He also said the highest dosage he'd be willing to try me on is 50mg (way above the 20mg FDA approval), which is reassuring to know I have that much more headroom to work with.

I was skeptical (obsessively) about being on meds to begin with as well, but I quickly got over it when I started noticing the positive effects. Also, taking an atypical anti-psychotic in conjunction with the SSRI has helped me quite a bit too. I started with Seroquel but have moved on to Abilify (due to the weight gain associated w/ Seroquel). Good luck and hang in there!

gsh7676

I took Lexapro at both 10 and 20 mg strengths and I had practically no anxiety but I also felt like not doing sh*t either. Things I use to enjoy meant nothing to me. I just wanted to constantly lay around and do nothing but watch tv. @ night it was even worse...I couldnt sleep and when i did finally go to sleep my dreams where terrible.
Take it in the morning if you plan to take this drug.

villacjs

I was also feeling afraid about taking Lexapro. I wasn't worried about long term side effects though. People started taking Prozac and Luvox back in the 1980s so any problems would have been identified by now. I had no trouble taking Lexapro (actually I'm going back on it in about 2 weeks from Effexor, but thats another story) at both 10mg and 20mg. Its a useful medication and if I were you I would evaluate how Lexapro is going after a couple of months. If it is not working or making you feel sick you can simply slowly go off it.

phase3

I am still dubious regarding medication. I had taken Zoloft for some time and the effects were pretty darn good. It took about a two weeks to kick-in, and when it does you don't even really notice, things just seem better. There are many side-effects you could have, I had only a dry mouth.

Though, with the advantages you have to ask yourself, can I really be on this for the rest of my life?

I hate it because it masks the 'symtoms' you feel. And there's the problem. You are never really dealing with how you feel, and new constructive ways. Sure they makes you feel good, but you are hiding beyond a false pretense.

I am starting to believe that you need to fully accept yourself, good and bad and move in a valued direction towards your desires.

I've done research (too much) regarding medication and therapies, and to this day the medical professionals don't know exactly what makes the medication work for social phobia! Also findings show that taking SSRIs reduce vitamins such as B6, which naturally aid in building serotonin in the brain.

Have you considered St. Johns Wart?

phase3 said:
I've done research (too much) regarding medication and therapies, and to this day the medical professionals don't know exactly what makes the medication work for social phobia!

I agree but a substantial body of literature based on case reports, open and placebo-controlled trials, has now clearly examined the efficacy of major classes of psychotropic agents including monoamine oxidase inhibitors, beta-blockers, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and benzodiazepines in social phobia

stardog

I had similar feelings to the OP with both SSRI's I took. Also didn't like the idea of a chemical permenantly altering the way my brain works. So I stopped both times.

I don't believe meds can be a long-term solution, therapy is much more effective . Also I'd rather be active than passive in my recovery to be honest. I doubt I'll be taking meds again.

Stardog,

Lets not forget there is growing evidence for the efficacy of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors fluvoxamine, fluoxetine, citalopram, paroxetine and sertraline. They have beneficial effects with response rates ranging from 50 to 80% in social phobia. It has been recommended that the treatment period should be extended at least 6 months beyond the early improvement achieved within the first 4 to 6 weeks.

Im sure we are all in agreement that CBT + SSRI is clearly superior to CBT alone. Most patients by themselves cant even make it to the CBT part without meds.