Sympathotomy (mayo clinic) and CS

kygirl19

Hi all I'm new here! I'm a 21 year old nursing student suffering from HH. I'm mainly affected on my hand, feet and underarms but during "stressful events" I sometimes feel as if I'm sweating all over... anyways Ive been looking into Sympathotomy at the Mayo Clinic and was wondering if anyone on here has had it done and how it went (good or bad). They claim the sympathotomy significantly reduces the chances of CS??? Hope everyone is having a good week, 2 more days till the weekend :)

kygirl19

I'm not exactly sure how it differs from ETS but they claim that this procedure has less chances of CS as compared to the original sympathectomy... here is the website Hyperhidrosis Surgery at Mayo Clinic
and info on sympathotomy... I'm trying to find out more info on it so if anyone knows anything I would greatly appreciate it!

Minimally invasive sympathotomy
Endoscopic transthoracic sympathotomy is a relatively new procedure developed and pioneered at Mayo Clinic to control hyperhidrosis without causing compensatory sweating. It has been offered at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota since 1998.

In a sympathotomy, the surgeon disconnects two clusters of nerve cells (ganglions) on the sympathetic nerve by the second rib, blocking the nerve pathway that causes excessive sweating. More than 120 patents have undergone this surgery with excellent results. All patients had complete relief of palmar hyperhidrosis and some improvement in plantar hyperhidrosis. Two patients experienced a form of severe compensatory hyperhidrosis, but only during exercise or working in a heated environment. To date, no postoperative sympathotomy cases of severe compensatory hyperhidrosis have occurred at average room temperatures.