sweating

Anonymous

I sweat bad in certain situations, even though i feel like I could care less abount the situation, but I sweat a whole lot anyway. I tried paxil and had ever single side effect listed on the bottle. Anyone take any medication that helped with crazy sweating?

Anonymous

ARRRG! Dang site just devoured my last post without a trace...

I don't have this problem, but I did some reading up. Note that I am NOT a medical expert.

If your sweating was helped by Paxil, try another med, as the problem is probably SA-related (psychosomatic).

If Paxil did nothing for the excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), then it may be a somatic (body, not mind) issue. I've heard of a topical product for this called Drysol. Note that it's *ridiculously* expensive for an antiperspirant, but doctors do recommend it.

If that just doesn't cut it, the Mayo Clinic has a few ideas:

Iontophoresis. In this procedure, a dermatologist uses a battery-powered device to deliver a low current of electricity to the affected area. Although iontophoresis is painless and quite safe, it may be no more effective than a topical antiperspirant.

Botulinum toxin (Botox). This is the same product that helps smooth facial wrinkles by paralyzing certain muscles. Researchers have discovered that Botox injections are also an effective way to treat severe hyperhidrosis by blocking the nerves that trigger the sweat glands. Botox isn't a cure-all, however. It may take several injections to achieve the desired results, the treatment can be painful, and the results only last about 4 months. In addition, although Botox stops sweating, it doesn't prevent body odor.

Surgery. In rare cases surgery may be an option. If excess sweating occurs just in your armpits, removing the sweat glands may help. Another procedure involves cutting the nerves that carry the messages from the sympathetic nerves to the sweat glands. At one time this was a major operation, requiring large incisions in the chest or back to reach the spinal column, where the nerves are located. You typically stayed in the hospital a week and could expect to spend a month recovering. But today the surgery can be performed laparoscopically using a procedure known as endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy. It requires just three small incisions for a video telescope and small surgical instruments. Although the operation is delicate, it typically requires only a day in the hospital and produces minimal scarring. Following the surgery, sweating on the hands permanently stops. But increased sweating can occur elsewhere on your body, such as your back or the back of your legs.

The above was swiped from: http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=43CB5F79-2B33-4F96-B7D06EC696826071&dsection=6

I hope this helps!

Anonymous

Hi, thats for the good reply :D

I ordered some of that Drysol, my problem is though it not my pits and hands that sweat, it's mostly my entire upper torso. Starts with my back then my chest.

I didn't have time to see if paxil worked, the side effects were severe

The first only time I took it I woke up and my head left funny and I couldn't see right, then suddenly I felt like I had bad diarea, so I ran to the bathroom, nothing came out, then I felt like I was going to throw up, so I assumed the position, then I felt like I had the diarea again so I returned to that postion, nothing came out, instead it felt like every pore in me opened up and it seemed like every bit of water in me came out through my skin and I felt real cold, it seriously felt like it was pouring rain on me. after all the water came out I noticed eerything was blurry, I looked in the mirror and my eyes were completly dialated. I then was worried I was dehydrated so I ran to the kitchen and drank like a gallon of water. I felt better afer that, and even went to work on time.

Anonymous

You're welcome!

Those certainly sound like bad side effects. :) Have you called your doctor to ask about switching to a different medication? I myself reacted poorly to Paxil (I took it for three days... my side effects were much less dramatic but still bad). I did much better on Effexor while I took it (one must slowly wean off it when one's done though, or it WILL bite you on the ass).

I can see how it might be hard to slather half your body with Drysol. ;) Do you sweat at all from your palms/armpits? Sometimes people have conditions in which some of their sweat glands in some areas don't work, forcing the body to overcompensate where it can. Definitely run this by your doctor if you haven't done so already.

There are systemic drugs that can reduce sweating, but I don't know if any are prescribed just for that purpose (or if they'd be all that good if they were). Examples include Donnatal (phenobarbital+belladonna alkaloids; often prescribed to treat bewetting) and other antimuscarinic/anticholinergic/antispasmodics (propantheline and methscopolamine). Ask your doctor. They're safe when taken as directed. Just note that these tropane* drugs can do crazy things to people who are overly sensitive or take too much (ever hear of people flipping out deliriously after eating Jimson weed? Same class of drug!). Ditropan (oxybutinin), the overactive bladder drug, apparently also decreases sweating.

Other things I came across include an herbalist mentioning that tannins (the astringest part of dark teas and red wine) can decrease sweating. Another mentioned using 2-3 grams of walnut leaf steeped in 100 ml of water and using that topically like Drysol. :)

So talk to your doctor! I'm **not** one, I just play one on message boards. LOL

Good luck!!

*Interesting side note: Tropane drugs act as deliriants in high doses. While LSD makes one hallucinate and say "cool colors, I'm so high," ODing on tropanes convince you that it's reality and that you're sober. :) Tropanes include the belladonna alkaloids (atropine, scopolomine, hyoscyamine, etc.), as well as cocaine and nicotine. Please note that snorting coke and smoking cigarettes **WILL NOT** help with sweating. ;)

Anonymous

SWEATING

U might want to look into a drug called clonidine it is used by women who are in menapause and have excessive sweating and hot flashes. I have used it during drug withdrawl and it stopped the sweats right away.