Supportive family?

sportsfan8

Does your family support you guys with your HH struggles? My parents both think "there's nothing wrong with me" and "it's not that bad"... they actually let me go to a dermatologist after much coaxing but this guy wasn't knowledgable with HH in the least... they won't let me get oxybutinin and I've been wanting to try Secure Wipes but I'm gonna have to buy them without their permission (anyone tried these? I have HH in my palms and underarms).

anyone have any advice on educating them in the severity of this and how much it's effecting my life?

grissom

family suck sumtimes

i have mentioned in some posts ive done how my mum just said 'its nothing, itll go away' and so i think she just think it did go away cos i didnt speak to her about it ever since that day when i told her how i had been sweating excessively for 2 years, and now its been 7 years. so i just think, its your own personal journey so f*** parents quite frankly!

its your choice if you wanna get oxybutynin or secure wipes (unless you need them to pay for it) etc. i probably will never tell them about my condition incase they say something like 'nah its probably not that serious as u think!' and then i'll get low and hate them.
at the moment i'm trying to switch doctors cos my asshole of a doctor said 'theres no cure and nothin i can give u to help.' even though i knew there were more products out there that might be able to help me. i get hh in the underarms hands and feet but mostly every where else, particularly in the summer or when im overheated.

i dont think its worth trying to tell ur parents about it if theyre not interested, its only gonna make u down more, just maybe see a councellor and tell him or her all your problems that u couldnt tell them?

P.S - i also think it depends on how old u are, cos im 18 so im an adult now and as ive had it for so long i feel like i dont feel the need to tell my 'rents about it anymore, cos then itd be like askin for help and nothin they will do will be able to help me, its all about wot i can do for myself. how old r u? cos i felt i needed help back when my hh first came about which was when i was 12.

sportsfan8

I'm 18 too, I'm a senior in high school, but the problem is I don't have a credit card, that's why I need to keep trying to convince them.

Your parents are just like mine, I gave up asking them a long time because they kept saying those same things...

I'm thinking I need to get a credit card...

And I've also had the same experience with a doctor as you. He gave me some bullshit prescription (dicoclymine??) and it actually made my sweating more severe in both my hands and underarms. Then the next visit I tell him they didn't work and I want to try iontophoresis. I have to explain to him what it is and he leaves the room for ten minutes and comes back with the names of some machines (which I already knew all about). I ask him if he knows anywhere that I can buy them through his office, and he tells me to "just look online"... (I think some require doctor prescriptions)... yea and he was the only 'qualified' doctor that has dealt with HH in my area so I've given up on going to doctors for it...

I agree with you I'm old enough to take matters into my own hands, HH is ruining my life and I don't need my parents holding me back from relief. Thanks for the reply.

coriander1992

I told my mum about it, but she doesen't think i have it at all, and she says that its normal to sweat :(
saying that though, she did go out and buy me some stuff to try and stop the sweating, but after alot of me asking.
She just doesen't understand how it makes me feel. :cry:

BiGz

My dad was somwhat submissive until I sat him in front of the computer an made him read about it. Than when we went to see the doctor about it and he confirmed I did indeed have it. If your parents see that your down about it they will listen. It did take a lot persuading, but its worth it than it feels like you have support with decsion making in certain things. I know he still thinks its not as bad as I make it out to be but hes supportive.

RiverLee

My mom to this day still says comments such as "Oh I don't think that it's that bad" and was reluctant to offer help. Truthfully it really took my initiative to go to a dermatologist for advice to actually get any sort of comfort in this area, since my doctor gave me drysol and sent me on my way.

It's sad that there isnt as much parental support in this area since, at least in my experience, having HH causes people to avoid avenues for seeking help.

Hotshots

sportsfan8 said:
Does your family support you guys with your HH struggles? My parents both think "there's nothing wrong with me" and "it's not that bad"... they actually let me go to a dermatologist after much coaxing but this guy wasn't knowledgable with HH in the least... they won't let me get oxybutinin and I've been wanting to try Secure Wipes but I'm gonna have to buy them without their permission (anyone tried these? I have HH in my palms and underarms).

anyone have any advice on educating them in the severity of this and how much it's effecting my life?

my parents think its normal and say everyone sweats (yeah, right). Ever since I've told them, theyre always staring at me every time I talk to them or theyre talking to me and it bugs the shit outta me.

I'm 22 and have had HH for about 6 yrs (since jr yr of hs) and now I'm a 4th yr at college.

I just wanna be normal

sadday

My mom is the only one that knows and I only told her about a year ago after having been suffering for 6 years. She has been very supportive and searches online to help find me treatments. However, she thinks that it is a mind thing and that I should just try to not think about it and it will go away. She doesn't really understand.