Feeling embarrassed and self-conscious
Being in a crowd but not feeling part of the crowd
Feeling shy and scared of others
Experiencing low self-esteem
Feeling angry, defensive and critical
Feeling socially inadequate and socially unskilled
Being convinced there is something wrong with you
Feeling disconnected and alienated from your surroundings
Feeling anxious and sad because you believe that no one knows how miserable and isolated you feel
Losing your capacity to be assertive; feeling "invisible"
Feeling reluctant to attempt to change, or try new things
Feeling "empty", depressed, or even contemplating suicide

I pretty much have these all and have put my feelings down to just deppression in the past, the feelings are irrational but i get them when not with people almost all the time. It makes me self harm, because its like this emptyness feeling and guilt for myself? According to Wikipedia this is a very misunderstood and dangerous mental disorder if a disorder. Im just wondering how many people here are having this rather than Just Deppression.

I can see why people misunderstand loneliness. Because u assume a person with no friends only experinace loneliness. Thats not the case in this condition, i have loads of friends but when not with them i feel empty and worthless and ask myself 'Is Life worth living' but when with friends i feel alive, Shy and anxious obcourse but alive, i would anyday pick anxiety over emptyness because with anxiety u feel alive rather than nothing with emptyness.

I thought i would ust inform and hopefully help some of u who might be experiancing this. P.s it is treated farely similier to deppression with medication and therapy etc.

rado31

Yep , i know the feeling. U have uhmm kinda friends and i still wont go away. After that i suffered SA breakdown and kick all those so called frineds in their ass. It is interesting to see that 'illness' lonliness is treateable (same as other shit found by idiots)...Some of the idiots visiting this site suggested even that the shyness in men is a mental illness. Rite, we are all very very ill here. :? :x

prince1

Sorry for asking this question but are u calling me an idiot?
I would class this but not shyness as a mental illness. Yes loneliness is a natural feeling but is it natural to feel like this when really you have friends and relationships but feel the pain of loneliness daily? Feeling it so intense that you feel worthless and deppressed isint really a normal thing in my view anyway. Deppression, shyness are all normal but it gets too the point where people just cant handle it wether it be because there symptons are severe or they just dont have the personality to handle it.

jayo

Yeah - I can relate to all the symptoms listed.

There's one more - the impact these things have on your life.
And the feeling of denial, loss, inadequacy and lost opportunities and lost life this causes.

Sen

prince1 said:
i would anyday pick anxiety over emptyness because with anxiety u feel alive rather than nothing with emptyness.

Please let's not start a contest :p

Very good post though, I can only relate to some of those feelings and wouldn't class myself as lonely so I've nothing to add, I just felt that on a forum discussing social phobias it wouldn't be wise to start comparing and contrasting our phobias and seeing who's got it worst off :p

YankeeBob

We know the symptoms of our common problem.

No one has to teach me about my problem. I have acquired these characteristics without reading a book about it.

Tell me .....if you can....how to break out of it.

I need help. I can't do this alone.

Thanks for letting me share.