subconcious saboteur

Toad

yeah i notice that sometimes i dont really hear people, but most of the time i'm good at catching it...well at least i think i am, but who knows how many times i failed to realize it.

Angie_05

I have trouble paying attention to people too, especially if they are talking to me. I think it's because I'm so nervous about having to have the conversation that I'm too busy thinking about that, so I don't hear what they are saying.

Since I realized that I have been aware of it and pay more attention to the content of discussions now, instead of whether or not I'm looking at them in the eyes or if I just said the right thing.

Scottish_Player

I switch off alot and go into my own little world when people are talking to me, its like i can hear them but iam not realy listening. My own little world is better than this world so iam not complaining :D maybe thats why i go there so much lol

Yeah..I this happens to me alot as well redlady, u're not alone :wink: . Theres this subconscious force acting on us.

Have you also noticed how your breathing hesitates when placed in a conversation or in a social setting? I believe this causes our voices to be soft and vertigo to be experienced. Cuz I always wondered why I could talk so loudly to my parents but not so to my strangers and friends..it made me realised I was holding my breath when i spoke to the latter lot of people, which caused me to freeze up.

Vincent

Banned
their eyes in my head

Im the total opposite,

Im too aware of approaching strangers or otherwise, and don't know how to act, my movements become contrived and mechanical, my joints stiff. I'll either force a awkward smile or make an obvious attempt to ignore them, shortly after to berate myself for this and then its too late. I wish I could be more like you guys and not be so aware of others...

clairet

Re: their eyes in my head

Vincent said:
Im the total opposite,

Im too aware of approaching strangers or otherwise, and don't know how to act, my movements become contrived and mechanical, my joints stiff. I'll either force a awkward smile or make an obvious attempt to ignore them, shortly after to berate myself for this and then its too late. I wish I could be more like you guys and not be so aware of others...

me too Vinvent, I'm hyper aware of everyone and everything. I feel all mechanical too if i feel intimidated by the person/people I meet - horrible, I'm sure they can feel it sometimes!

last2no

funny...if I made the step to go out for a walk by myself....and was the person walking past you and I notice that you ignored my...being a person with SA, I would assume that you hate me or was judging me....thus I would withdraw into my apartment for days.... not knowing that you yourself have social phobia too and that's why you had ignored me.

I would be relief to be ignore but feel resentful of the world around me.

Eversince I came to this website...It had really help me undestand the actions of others and my action more.

Hastur

Like Vincent, I am very much aware of people around me.

Sadly due to either natural reasons or training, I have excellent peripherial vision, annoyingly good hearing and a total inability to control my concentration.
I usually see all and ignore forcefully, looking straight ahead or to the floor, using my peripheral vision to avoid obstacles (living or otherwise).