Stress

Angie_05

Lately my SA and my GAD are interacting with each other and I am stressed to the max. I'm terrified I'm going to have a nervous breakdown soon. I feel like running away and starting over. Changing my name, never speaking to family/friends again. Mostly my family is stressing me out. I'm 21 and I can't seem to escape it. The SA and GAD make it worse, like I always have to please them and do what they ask of me, and yet I worry about them a lot and feel like I should solve all their problems.

Any advice? How does one calm down and not take life so seriously?

Danfalc

Banned
Hello Angie

Sorry to hear things are getting so bad for you,I dont suffer from GAD,so i cant really say i know what you are going through. :(

If your fammily are stressing you out,perhaps you could stay with a friend for a while to give yourself a break.Or tell your fammily that your not coping well and could do with some support.If either of them you cant manage,maybe a visit to the doctors might help,maybe some medication might make it easier for you to cope with things while it's this tough, or hopefully speaking to someone and getting your feelings out might help a little.

Sorry if youve tried any of this and it hasnt worked or if it's not good advice,hopefully someone with GAD can give you some better advice.

Anyways i hope things work out for you.

blubs

Hi Angie
Sorry to hear things feel so bad at the moment :(
My family have always stressed me out. Lately I've tried hard to distance myself from them...and feel better for it.
If you live with them it is hard to get that distance...but maybe you could try to distance yourself mentally. Thats what I try to do....when someone is saying stuff that stresses me out, I stay polite but in my head think
"La La I'm not listening!!" (or something....). I find it helps to stop me getting dragged into things.
I think if you're quiet...people can take advantage of that and load you with their own problems. It becomes a bit one sided. Try not to take them on. Try to focus on yourself and what you want instead....Like if it is getting some space away from them, maybe you could focus on how to do that without actually having to run away.
Hope you feel better soon
blubs

Angie_05

Thanks for the replies, Danfalc and Blubs. You guys are both right about me needing to space myself from my family, but I need to do it emotionally. I have been living with my boyfriend, but he recently announced he is moving across the country to take advantage of a job opportunity so I am forced to live with my parents again because I cannot afford to live on my own. I do need my family, but I need to take care of me. I read that a lot of SA's have trouble saying no to people. That's me. I just want everybody to like me and I don't want them to think I'm selfish.

Blubs, I like what you said about not listening to the things your family says. I am going to try that. I tend to worry about the things they do and I need to learn that I can't fix them. I am such a worryer.

rfnatboy

Somewhere along the line I relized other peoples opinion didnt matter .They were uniformed and pretty much didnt know what they were talking about . Once I did what was best for me and ignored them I was much happier . Tying your feelings to others is just not needed aleast thats worked for me .