Still haunting me.

LeiOcean

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I wanted to make this post to share my horrible life dealing with HH. I'm currently a freshman in college studying to become a pharmacist one day hopefully. I have been dealing with HH for as long as I can remember, I absolutely am terrified by it. Yet with this issue I still managed to be in band and show choir. Of course there are consequences, the dancing the marching, it's not that I'm ever tired, just a large amount of sweat pouts down all over my head. I was even a drum major my senior year where I was hopefully being a role model to my fellow bandmates. As I stood on that podium sweating I has always hoped not to give them a sense of failure. I'm not the most social person around but I try to talk to people but when nerves gets in the way, let it rain. I feel like HH is slowly consuming my life, I have yet to find anything that works. My parents, Asian parents of course believe its because of my weight, but I'd like to beg a differ. I play volleyball weekly sometimes even more and my weight does not affect me. Of course I have more stories but I would like to ask if anyone has suggestions. If you reached the end of this, you have already helped me by understanding. Thank you.

truffleshuffle

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I wanted to make this post to share my horrible life dealing with HH. I'm currently a freshman in college studying to become a pharmacist one day hopefully. I have been dealing with HH for as long as I can remember, I absolutely am terrified by it. Yet with this issue I still managed to be in band and show choir. Of course there are consequences, the dancing the marching, it's not that I'm ever tired, just a large amount of sweat pouts down all over my head. I was even a drum major my senior year where I was hopefully being a role model to my fellow bandmates. As I stood on that podium sweating I has always hoped not to give them a sense of failure. I'm not the most social person around but I try to talk to people but when nerves gets in the way, let it rain. I feel like HH is slowly consuming my life, I have yet to find anything that works. My parents, Asian parents of course believe its because of my weight, but I'd like to beg a differ. I play volleyball weekly sometimes even more and my weight does not affect me. Of course I have more stories but I would like to ask if anyone has suggestions. If you reached the end of this, you have already helped me by understanding. Thank you.
I don;t suffer from HH but I do kinda know how you feel becasue When I sweat I feel like a really sweat and its mosly from my head for somereason. I feel like It just pours out of me. Maybe thats why I hate being hot I already don;t like the way I look and sweating like that makes it worse. I am a fairly big guy so I do know bigger people do tend to sweat alot more at least I think so anyway. I have no idea what treatments are avalabile for hh but I do hope you find something that helps you become more at the very least more comfortable.

storyofmylife

Hello, i'm not entirely sure what HH is so please forgive me if my advice doesn't make sense. I'm a college student too and I also had the bad habit of sweating like crazy when I'm nervous, especially when I think that people are judging me. I'm much better now because (1) I use deodorant, I didn't really like putting stuff on myself in the past, (2) I lost some weight. I think that helped alot as I had a friend who lost alot of weight and he told me his sweating problem stopped (he used to have body odor and now he doesn't), (3) trying very hard to calm yourself down and avoid overthinking in nervous situations. I think (3) could be the main cause of my problem, I'm not sure for you, but you can try to calm yourself down abit and tell yourself that nobody is expecting perfection from you in nervous times. That way you may not sweat as much.

+ (4) always make sure you're prepared for class or anything you feel you will get super nervous for. I was super late for the first tutorial of the semester for a module once and I was perspiring buckets, I couldn't stop. It was only about half an hour later that I did and it was so embarrassing as we had to introduce ourselves to the class!

I'm new to the forum so if I didn't understand your problem correctly please forgive me. Hope I helped :) and all the best! You're really brave for taking on these activities when you know you have excessive sweating problems. I wouldnt have th courage to do that. Oh and I'm Asian too :)

storyofmylife

Oh, oh, I used to play volleyball too. I don't think it helped me cause it made my sweat glands so active I always perspired like I had just worked out. My body can't get out of the exercise mode.

laure15

I myself don't see a correlation between body weight and HH; When I was 15 lbs lighter, I sweat just as much as I sweat now when I exercise. But I do notice that when I'm skinnier, my clothes aren't as tight-fitting so they don't cling to my skin as tightly. Therefore, when I sweat, the sweat doesn't stick to my clothes as much.

LeiOcean

I appreciate everyone's response, it definitely has given me some sense of comfort. @storyofmylife I believe you might have some type of HH. I especially perspire more when I feel like everyone is looking at me, or if I'm just talking to one person I am not fond of very well because it's just a conversation between two people and the focus is on me. It's very hard to calm yourself down, because you mind just keeps thinking about everything.

@laure15, I can do anything a "smaller" person would be able to do and probably to some even better. I'm not overly obese, but not muscle man either. But you do bring up a good point if weight was lost it would help with the clothes tight-fitting. But doesn't it seem odd how if we sweat plenty, shouldn't we be losing mass amounts of weight?

LeiOcean

@truffleshuffle I have been looking at odaban but I am unsure if it will work. I brought this issue up to a physician before and she just laughed and said it might be because of weight. Although she subscribed some stronger deodorant for my armpits, but that's not where the issue is, it's my head and face!

truffleshuffle

@truffleshuffle I have been looking at odaban but I am unsure if it will work. I brought this issue up to a physician before and she just laughed and said it might be because of weight. Although she subscribed some stronger deodorant for my armpits, but that's not where the issue is, it's my head and face!
Ya my head and face sweat alot too even though I don;t have hh and I do know its kinda from my weight but I don;t think its totaly from that. Its just where I sweat the most from.

laure15

@laure15, I can do anything a "smaller" person would be able to do and probably to some even better. I'm not overly obese, but not muscle man either. But you do bring up a good point if weight was lost it would help with the clothes tight-fitting. But doesn't it seem odd how if we sweat plenty, shouldn't we be losing mass amounts of weight?

Not really. When we sweat, we are losing lots of water, ions, and other dirty stuff that the body wants to get rid of. We're not losing fat or carbs. So, you can sit and bake in the sun all day and sweat buckets but you still won't lose a pound. On the other hand, exercise and eating less helps you lose weight. With exercise, you burn calories. With eating less, you don't put as much food into your body so your body learns to survive with less stuff.

LeiOcean

Oh the dreadful process of losing weight. I wish I had commitment to do it but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try again.

Jezza

Not really. When we sweat, we are losing lots of water, ions, and other dirty stuff that the body wants to get rid of. We're not losing fat or carbs. So, you can sit and bake in the sun all day and sweat buckets but you still won't lose a pound. On the other hand, exercise and eating less helps you lose weight. With exercise, you burn calories. With eating less, you don't put as much food into your body so your body learns to survive with less stuff.

However, if you sweat you are losing warmth that the body has to work for to regain (not if you're out in the sun, but definitely if you're in a cold room sweating like HH sufferers usually do) and that does burn calories.

Furthermore if the hypothesis is right that HH is a result of too much sympathetic output then one could assume that that goes for more systems in the body than just sweating and generally speaking the more sympathetic activity the more energy used.