Step in the right direction

mustang

Think I made a few positive steps towards leviating my S.A.

-Friday me and a friend went to a Sports Dealership, we were really interested in buying a pair of Suzuki 400c Enduro bikes to save money on gas prices on insurance(I drive a Mustang GT, and he drives a Hemi Ram).
Well normally, I'd freak out, thinking I can't make this huge decision in my life...but after adding everything up, and 'sacking the hell up...I made the purchase. Normally on something this big, I'd ask my mother for guidance.

-Saturday, I went to a gun store. Saw a great Remmington 870 shotgun...Now I've never owned a gun myself, after my father left(agout 11 years ago) I never shot a gun again. Bought the gun, went with some friends and let off a few shells(GREAT stress reliever!). Another big decision, that will hopefully help.

I think the bulk of my social anxiety was caused by my mother babying me/controlling me, and my father never around to force me to "leave the nest."
Part of it is my own fault though, I knew how to manipulate and cheat people to get what I wanted. If I didn't want to go to school, I'd force myself to throw up, saying I was having panic attacks. :lol: Leave it to Karma to give me ACTUAL panic attacks a few years later. Ha!

Outrune

mustang said:
I think the bulk of my social anxiety was caused by my mother babying me/controlling me, and my father never around to force me to "leave the nest."

Yeah, this seems partly true for myself. My parents constantly moan and berate me for my lack of independence but at the same time, positively jump at the chance to pay for all my driving lessons and cook all my meals, wash all my clothes etc. lol. I get the feeling too much mothering can hinder our confidence somewhat later in life.

But congratulations sir, i'm pleased that you are making progress!
Such threads provide great morale.

HideNSeek

Great thread. I'm pretty sure my social anxiety is also related to my family life and the way my parents treat me almost too well, and seem to have cut me off from expressing myself as an individual.

It's great to hear that someone in a similar situation is making progress though! Good luck. :)

TAMPA-BAY

nice post

Wow intresting tread cause It wasnt until recently that i've noticed my parents contradictions of alwayse saying that I am a grown man and that I should be further along than I should yet every time I try to do major things like scramble some eggs or make a purchaces or chose a job they are constantly second guessing me. I am like how the hell will I ever learn. I mean let me at least fall down a few times and I will ask for help if I cant pick my self up.

Its like I would rather try on my own and fall on my ass than get help and do it perfectly.