schist

"The ability to reach a higher social status/become a leader/role-model does not necessarily come from within - if you are not perceived to have what it takes, then you will forever flounder at the bottom of the social ladder."

Agree or disagree? Explain.

EDIT: Changed the wording

Last edited:

SilentBird

The social ladder, bah humbug, I am at the bottom, a drop out, I am a thinker, like Ronin's statue, and great because of it.

Rembrandt Broam

"The ability to reach a higher social status/become a leader/role-model does not necessarily come from within - if you are not perceived to have what it takes, then you will forever flounder at the bottom of the social ladder."

Agree or disagree? Explain.

EDIT: Changed the wording

Agree, but the key word is "perceived". It doesn't actually matter whether you actually have the ability, it only matters that you can make others believe that you do. How do you think so many useless people attain political positions so far beyond their actual level of competence. And as I pointed out recently in a thread about appearance, if you can associate with good-looking, popular people, you will gain an increase in your social status by association. Sadly people base their judgment of each other far more on perception than reality.