Starting abilify - need advice

golfer1983

Hi All -

I am a 27 year old male with a history of anxiety/depression and, for the past year, OCD. It manifests as violent obsessions and obsessions about my body etc. Before it turned into OCD, I had textbook generalized anxiety disorder which was a bit easier and more simple ;)

I have been on all SSRI's with no benefit. Tried two TCA's which were MUCH more tolerable but had bad side effects (Dizziness / No sex drive).

The doctor now wants me to try Abilify + Desiprimine (TCA). I have started by taking 2.5MG Abilify for 2 days now. It has reduced obsessions and reduced anxiety but at a huge price. My "zip" "motivation" drive etc. is gone. I feel blah and unfocused. Foggy headed....Sedated/Tired and just "bored and apathetic."

I have a few options. I can start Abilify at 1mg instead of 2mg and see if that helps and then, if need be, I can increase the dose.

I can continue taking 2mg and, from what I've read, sometimes the sedation etc goes away after a week or two. So, I can just "tough it out" while my body adjusts.

I can stop Abilify and start the TCA at a low dose FIRST and then, after a few weeks on that, I can add low dose Abilify as an augmenter.

Let me know your thoughts. Has anyone tried Antipsychotics before? Are these normal start up side effects? Do they usually go away?

ANY and all help and advice is much appreciated guys! Thanks so much. :)

:) Hi and welcome. From my limited knowledge the symptoms may go away; if they are working then I would suggest not changing the dosage and wait a week or two to see what happens, discuss it with your doc if the side effects are persisting. Getting outside for a walk/exercise can go some way to counter side effects, though I imagine that would be hard with the tiredness etc