SSRI Withdrawal Symptoms-What are they?

Gadfly

Dunno, but marijuana withdrawal makes me crave sugar. Then again...so did marijuana use...maybe it's SUGAR that's the real problem!

JackOfSpades

I'm convinced I had serotonin syndrome last year after the doc accidentally dosed me high. I had headaches, chills, couldn't keep my eyes closed relaxed-I'd mash them shut, and grind my teeth involuntarily, had rolling massage like feelings over my body persistently, was muddled and thinking through certain sentences felt like a force of will, was light and sound sensitive. I felt acutely aware of every one of these sensations in a way I've never been before. It was plenty unpleasant for me, to say the least. But I don't think this is typical of coming off a normal dose, etc.

Depends what you're on and the dose.

I've been on both paroxetine and citalopram, both fairly low doses. The worst of the two was probably the paroxetine, but I had been on it for a few years. I got the brain zaps, fatigue, depressed mood... can't remember if there was anything else. They lasted for about a week and then after they vanished I fell into a deep depression, the worst I've ever experienced.

I was only on the citalopram for a few months and the withdrawal symptoms were moderate - my head felt a little heavy and I was a bit tired and dizzy. Nothing too bad though. I think I'm still withdrawing from them (it's been a few weeks now), but the symptoms are mostly gone.

I'll add that I quit both of these cold turkey - not recommended. I once tapered off paroxetine the way you're supposed to, and I had no withdrawal symptoms at all.

Last edited: