SSRI Experiences

hapt

Hi,

Is anyone taking an SSRI to handle their anxiety? Specifically prozac? My doctor has prescribed it to me a number of times, but I've declined taking it after reading all the prozac horror stories on the internet. Are all those stories just the mintority of disgruntled people who experienced the worse side effects? :roll: or is it really that bad?

Currently, I'm only taking meds on a situational basis, 40-80 mg Inderal (propranolol) and 0.5 mg xanax, which works wonders and gets me through wedding parties, job interviews, etc... but the thing is I was also diagnozed with Dysthymia, and frankly I hate my life like almost all the time, and find it very hard to find joy in any activity, which again takes me back to the possibilty of taking prozac to try and relieve that and the anxiety together.

Any help or opinions :(

Lexmark

I was on the max dose but it didnt do anything for me
Its well known that its the " safest " of the lot
But still medication isnt the aswer

autumn_82

Well, I haven't taken Prozac, but, like you, I've been wondering about it. I did take Lexapro at the max dosage (20mg), but it had no effect. I'd been afraid to try Lexapro because of all the horror stories out there about SSRIs, and have been thinking about trying Prozac, but am unsure about that one too.

Hi. I'm on sertraline right now, and I would recommend it as a good drug for the SA. However, everybody reacts individually on it, so be careful.

Cheers :)

VioletTears

I was on 50 mg Zoloft for a month and it made my anxiety and depression worse and also spaced me out so I just quit taking it. I was on Prozac for a week (just 10 mg because they were trying not to scare me away from meds) and it seemed to do the same thing, just less severe. I was put on it by a crisis stabalization psychiatrist but my regular psychiatrist said she wasn't surprised I had that reaction because it tends to be very activating which is bad for anxiety. But of course everyone is different.

I'm on Effexor now which is actually an snri. At first it just made me tired but no other effects good or bad until I went up to 180 mg or so, then the side effects became totally unbearable.

I'm also on Xanax which is okay.

To VioletTears: do you take Xanax regularly (every day)? If so, I'd like to warn you that it can make an addiction in you. It's but a benzodiazepine drug (alprazolam). I would recommend it, however, but only occasionally! :roll:

Hm, only one month of taking Zoloft... Rather short time to get a good result in the therapy...
I actually hadn't noticed any symptoms of any worsening of my problems when starting the sertraline therapy... :roll:

It's strange, but rather good, I think.

lexie66

I started taking citalopram, around two years ago, but the side effects made me feel awful they were conflicting with my other meds, but i know they are supposed to be one of the best anti depressants to try, i was on prozac for two months but i was taken off of those and put onto a different med as they yet again were conflicting with my other meds. your best off trying it, there is the risk you will have side effects for the first 2 weeks but thats just your body getting used to them.

villacjs

Don't be to concerned about all those horror stories you read about on the net. Yes these drugs can cause problems but only for a few people. Think about it in terms of flying planes, sometimes they crash but people still fly. Before I started Lexapro (an SSRI) I had read all the horror stories etc but I decided to take them and I haven't looked back. I'm currently on 300mg of Effexor and doing great in terms of depression.

The bottom line is you will never know if you never try.