SPG Block

jjubbs

After reading about the Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block procedure from an old posting on this site (read a 2004 case study here: http://www.theiaforum.org/Article_Folder/january2004(2).pdf), I became curious.

I watched a video of this on youtube, as performed by a clinic in Florida, but with the purpose being to relieve pain in seniors. I decided to email the clinic to see if they have ever tried this procedure to treat hyperhidrosis and here is the response:

Hello,

I have treated many similar problems. I believe that Hyperhydrosis is a manifestation of a disturbance of the middle brain & hypothalamic region of the central nervous system. This is what, in my belief, is the similarity between hyperhydrosis and migraines when it comes to responsiveness to the Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block (to be referred to as SPG) treatment.

We have done so many SPG treatments using an easier process then described in the article by the anesthetist. This has no significant side effects and can be repeated as much as necessary.

The procedure’s success depends upon the type of local anesthetic used.

I hope this is of value to you.

I am living in Toronto, so flying to Florida to have this procedure is not ideal; however I would be willing if I can't find a place nearby. Anyone have any experience with this?

surfsider

what is described in the article is an intervention for facial hyperhidrosis only. if that's what you have then it seems promising but it's not appropriate for other forms of hh from the looks of it

JJ1901

Wow I've never heard of this treatment, thanks for letting us know! And also make sure you keep us informed if you do decide to undergo the procedure!

Thanks.