Speaking up when `you're in the right'

black_mamba

Oh no, I'm sure your complaint didn't sound whiney to others, maybe because you were so worried about it, it felt as it you shouldn't be bringing it up and attracting attention...?

I rarely count my change to the nearest penny, I'm in such a hurry to get away that I just make sure I have roughly the right amount then make a run for it. :lol:

But getting the wrong change is definitely worth pestering the cashier for the right amount, and don't worry about people looking at you or anything like that. Often its the shop assistant who is more embarrassed than you - I know from experience. I once sold someone a computer game without putting the actual CD in the box. Doh! :oops: :oops: :oops:

dzerklis

hei pea, remember that problems are in our heads, not our throats. When you will be done with correcting your irrational thoughts, you will love your voice.

Toad

I never really count my change...just make sure the bills are right (use a credit card most of the time anyways). Occasionally if im bored i calculate out what my change should be when they are getting it, and just check it as they give it to me. I never really correct them if the change is wrong though...a quarter isn't worth it to me, fortunately I've never been shorted a significant amount...yet.

On a somewhat similar note, just yesterday when I was getting my lunch, I had to wait longer than I should have to get it (really wasn't that long...like 10 minutes or something), but the person who gave me the food said that my lunch was free because I had to wait so long...I don't really consider 10 minutes a big deal but anyways moving on. Since the place is set up so that you get all your food and then pay for it, I wasn't able to tell the cashier that the person who gave me my food told me my lunch was free since I had to wait...so yeah...paid for something I really didn't have to....doh.

newshyguy

pea said:
If you get short changed in the shops, do you say anything to the staff? Especially if there's a huge queue behind you?

I did once but my protest came out all blurted and whiney- sounded like some strange ott drama queen. Now I’ve taken the view it really isn’t worth the embarrassment or looks received for the sake of spare change...

(I'm very poor) :p

courage man, you got a whiney voice because you are not so good acting under pressure, but keep speaking up and practicing and at the end your whiney voice will go away
by the time you know it , next time you under pressure your voice will sound regular or even better than regular 8)

the beginging is hard, dont let your whiney voice stop you

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
much love to all shy homies and girls

IcanDoIt

pea said:
If you get short changed in the shops, do you say anything to the staff? Especially if there's a huge queue behind you?

I did once but my protest came out all blurted and whiney- sounded like some strange ott drama queen. Now I’ve taken the view it really isn’t worth the embarrassment or looks received for the sake of spare change...

(I'm very poor) :p

just practice on it, and it will come out perfect..:)

IceLad

I'm getting better at speaking up for myself. Already twice this year, I've corrected an assistant who tried to charge me too much for my shopping. I definitely won't return things back to a shop yet- I get someone to do that.

black_mamba

yetisbabe said:
I used to have a problem but not anymore. I can speak up for myself and have complained on a number of occasions recently. I guess learning to have confidence in my abitilities has given me the confidence to tell people when I think something is wrong.

This thread, and in particular, this post has inspired me to be stronger.

I exercised it for the first time today, and it went well.

I was alone in the silent study room at university (well there was another student, but he was asleep on the soft chairs). A student came in and plopped his ipod+earphones (which were still playing music) on the desk and continued working. I left it for a bit to see if he'd turn it off, but when I realised that he wanted to work like that I said:

Excuse me?
(he doesn't hear me, so I have to repeat myself, something I hate doing)
Excuse me, could you turn the music down? This is the only quiet place I have to study. Thankyou.

8O Two things; I didn't apologise before asking i.e. I'm sorry but could you...., and I didn't mind repeating myself. Very strange behaviour from black mamba, very strange. :D