some journal's research findings

Jezza

Found this abstract from a 2006 study...

Essential Hyperhidrosis is a disorder of excessive, bilateral, and relatively symmetric sweating occurring in the axillae, palms, soles, or craniofacial region without obvious etiology. Nitric oxide may play a physiological part in the production and/or excretion of sweat in skin eccrine glands. Tempol, a SOD mimetic, increases the half-life of NO and results in vasodilatation, hypotension, and reflex activation of sympathetic nervous system. Reactive oxygen species (ROS) may directly activate both central and peripheral sympathetic nervous system activity. We assessed the levels of malondialdehyde (MDA), the activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), and catalase (CAT) of red blood cells in patients with essential hyperhidrosis (n = 31) compared to age-and sex-matched healthy controls (n = 28). Erythrocyte activities of SOD and level of MDA were detected significantly higher (p = 0.020, p = 0.004 and respectively) and activities of CAT and GSH-Px were significantly lower (p = 0.0001, p = 0.0001 respectively) in patients than controls. Our results support the hypothesis that oxidative damage resulting from increased ROS production along with insufficient capacity of antioxidant mechanisms may be involved in pathogenesis of EH.

Don't know exactly what good it can do though, but at least it sounds interesting AND yes, it's research into HH :lol:

And it's not even aimed at pointless hereditary debates but at what is actually going on!

Jezza

From what I got at wikipedia, :lol: the first two, of which we (HH sufferers) apparently have too much cause oxidative stress in an organism and the latter two, of which we have too little prevent oxidative stress. So, basically what I think it says is that we have a lot of oxidative stress, in which oxidative stress is defined as follows;

Oxidative stress is caused by an imbalance between the production of reactive oxygen and a biological system's ability to readily detoxify the reactive intermediates or easily repair the resulting damage. All forms of life maintain a reducing environment within their cells. This reducing environment is preserved by enzymes that maintain the reduced state through a constant input of metabolic energy. Disturbances in this normal redox state can cause toxic effects through the production of peroxides and free radicals that damage all components of the cell, including proteins, lipids, and DNA.
In humans, oxidative stress is involved in many diseases, such as atherosclerosis, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease, but it may also be important in prevention of aging by induction of a process named mitohormesis. Reactive oxygen species can be beneficial, as they are used by the immune system as a way to attack and kill pathogens. Reactive oxygen species are also used in cell signaling. This is dubbed redox signaling.

So on the plus side, there's is the possibly slower aging...On the downside there are the brain dysfunctions and the sweating...For many, many years... :?

Still, obviously I don't know how serious to take this study, but I thought I'd post it anyway for the sake of information and the possibility someone can make more sense of it...