Some Avert and Securewipe Questions

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new here and have had cranial/facial HH as long as I can remember. Within the last few years, it seems to have gotten worse. After an exceptionaly embarassing episode in a crowded gymnasium recently, I now seem to be having problems in places where I normally would have been ok before (restaurants). I think it is worse because I am so self conscious about it after that episode. Can anyone relate to this?

Anyway, after reading some really positive posts regarding Avert and the Securewipes, I want to try these remedies. Of course, even though I would consider myself a severe case, I'm sure this would be an exaggeration. While I am tempted to go for the strongest dose possible, I know this is the wrong approach. So how then can I estimate which dosage I should go for? Should I opt for both products together or one over the other to start? Also, since I have never ordered from pharmacy.ca before, can someone give me an idea of the procedure I should expect? Thanks for such a great forum! I would have never found these options without it!

margiehope

Hi Sweatin Bullets!

If you can find a doctor to prescribe Avert (in the States it's Robinul--both are glycopyrrolate) that's best, of course. I live in Toronto, where pharmacy.ca has a standing store, so went directly there. The pharmacist spoke with me at some length, and contacted my doctor for approval since I have controlled high blood pressure, and the med can raise the heart beat.

I was provided with a helpful leaflet, and the advice was to try a low dose to begin with, but that I could take up to 8 mg. a day, in divided doses. In fact I take 4 to 6 mg. a day, depending on my level of activity--and on some cool and "lazy" days, may take none.

Over the internet, I believe they have you fill out a lengthy questionairre. This is a legitimate and responsible pharmacy. Robinul used to be available here, then wasn't, so pharmacy.ca actually started preparing it themselves.

I started off with Secure wipes--the lowest level at first, which didn't help much, then the next strongest version. (Secure is also glycco, just a topical version.) They worked really well on my face, but my scalp was the bigger HH problem, and you can't really wipe down the scalp.

I had actually spoken to my dermatologist first. She made a big deal about the dry mouth that can occur with the oral meds. That kept me sweating for months until someone mentioned their success with pharmacy.ca to me. I do get some dry mouth--it varies, but is never so bad I would return to my former soaking state instead.

Rather a long post--bottom line, try your own doctor or derm first, and start with a low dose--but the difference it's made to me is amazing, so I'd encourage you to try.

Good luck!

[/i]

Thanks for the comments so far!

I've read several stories regarding the drymouth that can occur when taking the oral glycopyrrolate. I am assuming that the topical form (Secure wipes) does not carry that side effect? I have cranial HH but my head sports a "buzzcut" so I think I could just use the wipes as long as they are as effective as the oral meds. Comments?

I've read several stories regarding the drymouth that can occur when taking the oral glycopyrrolate. I am assuming that the topical form (Secure wipes) does not carry that side effect? I have cranial HH but my head sports a "buzzcut" so I think I could just use the wipes as long as they are as effective as the oral meds. Comments?

dubcloser

Sweatin_Bullets said:

That works GREAT for me - I use the 3% secure wipes around my hairline. I use a #2 razor around the hairline so its no big deal to get the medication to the scalp. (Just remember to run your hands through your hair after it dries, or it looks like you have crusty hair.)

I have it really bad, full general HH, I sweat everywhere. I started off with 1 2mg pill and 1 3%wipe. Now I take 4mg orally and only use the wipes for social events, dates, etc. The dry mouth sensation wore off for me after a while (6 weeks?). It's still there, but I dont notice it nearly as much. Its not that bad.

After 3 months of taking it I really dont sweat that mucxh even if I dont take the meds every day. That could be residual or maybe even self confidence, but I dont take the pills every day when Im just heading to the office anymore.