Society

Angie_05

Does anyone feel like the people in their society are ultimately not trustworthy or are selfish? Kinda like....every man for himself, or that people are stepping on each other to succeed.

I bet this is an odd question, but it came to mind because of how we think that everyone is judging us negatively. It seems like, if we saw our world and the people in it as kind and good, wouldn't we be free of these fears?

I think most of the people at this site are from industrialized countries. I was wondering if there might also be a cultural difference present. In the U.S., I hear a lot of people talking about how our society is "screwed up" like I mentioned above. Anyone relate?

BrownEyes

I dont know about untrustworthy or selfish but I do think our society is very SUPERFICIAL and thats why I feel insecure most of the time. I know I dont live up to the perfect american ideal and that gets me down...

Ensamniak

Angie_05 said:
Kinda like....every man for himself, or that people are stepping on each other to succeed.

Well in America (and many other countries) this is the way it is. Capitalism. Competition. I'm no fan of capitalism, but noone has invented the perfect government yet, unfortunately.

I feel things are like that also.

Reminds me of a statement someone made, "If you lie, you get rich. If you tell the truth, you stay poor". Maybe it's more lucrative to be the bad guy.

Angie_05

BrownEyes said:
I do think our society is very SUPERFICIAL and thats why I feel insecure most of the time. I know I dont live up to the perfect american ideal and that gets me down...

I agree. Very superficial, especially the media. I used to try to starve myself to lose weight. It's like I was ready to give up and just give in. I know I'm beautiful to everyone else, but not to me. I know it's not realistic to want to look like the famous people, but it's so hard not to want to.

Angie_05

Ensamniak said:
Angie_05 said:
this is the way it is. Capitalism. Competition. I'm no fan of capitalism, but noone has invented the perfect government yet, unfortunately.

I feel things are like that also.

Reminds me of a statement someone made, "If you lie, you get rich. If you tell the truth, you stay poor". Maybe it's more lucrative to be the bad guy.

Capitalism scares me, but I love it at the same time. It scares me because those profiting from capitalism are the richest in the country and they continue to raise prices and demand more out of their sales to become richer. Executives of companies choose to lay people off rather than cut their own salary from rich to wealthy. And don't get me started on the way money is disbersed and spent in the government. Capitalism is good to me because of the small amount of money I'm making off Ebay. So confusing.