Social Security Questions

zeddi

I am unable to work and need to find a way to bring in money for my family. I was wondering if anyone has gone through the process of getting Social Security and what it all entails. I also wonder since I am married will I not be eligable because my husband makes money?
Or if anyone knows of a way to work from home that would be great also. I live in North Dakota.
Thank you for your help

zeddi

Over the last 5 years I have had multiple full time jobs. With each job I have had I work for a few months and then I have a bought of depression or anxiety where I need to take a break from life. I go back to work and a month or so later it happens again that I need some time off. When work asks why I needed the time off I explain what is going on and I either get fired or get a warning and when it happens again I just quit because I know I’ll get fired. I have not found a job that is understanding of my situation. This has caused me to have anxiety towards work. I feel I am not a good employee because I cannot always be there I may not always be dependable. If I walk up to work and have a panic attack I can’t go to work I have to go home and take care of myself.

Slothrop

I looked into it seriously about a year ago and decided it wasn't the right thing for me (as a single person) to do at the time, so I don't know exact details, but this is what I do know.

There isn't just one "Social Security", there are a lot of different programs which have different qualifications. It's byzantine and can take a long time to get disability-based benefits. They're also pretty tough to get, especially for things like anxiety and depression, which (as debilitating as they are) are treatable. Income-based benefits like food stamps, Medicare, or housing subsidies are much easier to get, especially for families.

Your husband making money might make a difference depending on how much he makes, the cost of living in your area, and the size of your family. Just having some other income doesn't disqualify you, though. Even if you personally had a job you could still receive some benefit.

You should apply for everything you can, but I would guess that food stamps would be the quickest and easiest to get, and will probably make a big difference on your family's situation.

lonely_world

I started receiving ssi and ssd 6 years ago, and it helped when my psychiatrist at the time suggested it. If you don't have a doctor to apply for you, you will most likely have to go to a lawyer, because it is very hard to get it on your own without medical documentation of your disability. I believe if you are married that doesn't make a difference, but you will get less money. Good luck.

SilentType

Banned
Yeah when I dropped out of college and wasn't to keen on the thought of working (considering school was too much...), my psychiatrist suggested I go on SSI to get through that rough patch in my life. If you have a legitimate reason to be on it and if you have a doctor fill out the proper paperwork, it really shouldn't be too tough to receive the benefits. I didn't have to get a lawyer, as they accepted me without a trial, although it took six months after I applied to start getting my money. I have panic disorder w/ agoraphobia, btw. Also, having a spouse who makes money only disqualifies you from receiving benefits if that person makes enough money to support your combined financial situation. Hope I helped.

Peace

zeddi

I also suffer from agoraphobia and panick attacks.
Thank you all for your help. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for the past 8 years straight and I have documentation for all those years. I may ask my doctor about it during my next visit. It would be helpful in my life, but if it doesn't happen I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Thank you again for you help.