Social phobia support groups, Catch 22?

BreakingFree

From what I understand, these groups are not well attended. Does anyone belong to one and can give some feedback on how to run a successful one? What problems they experienced and overcame?

I would love to belong to one (even ready to start up one) just to give me the exposure to social situations, that is making the effort to interact and grow from there. A least I can start making an end to my reclusive existence even if it is to attend the support group.

What I do not understand is, why not attend a group brought about to assist/overcome SP - its designed to help and support each other afterall, why not attend? Should we not be grabbing this chance to change?Are we not shooting ourselves in the foot by turning our backs on reaching out to the outside world for help?Will we ever get better if we do not take the necessary steps to change and improve our situation/lives?Are we going to hold on to our aloneness, our loneliness?Normal lives would not be attainable if we do not make the effort to change the one that causes us so much pain and deprive us of having healthy relationships.

Should we not be reaching out to each other TO ACHIEVE A COMMON GOAL?How else will we get well if not taking the hand of someone experiencing the same problems or am I far removed from the reality of SP and even a SP support group presenst a threat?Mabe it depends on the severity of SP I suppose? But I am so ready to give myself a chance at living a normal live, free from anxiety,panic and OH SO MUCH PAIN! :cry:

I would greatly appreciate any feedback!! Reply, please!

ignisfatuus

It's been awhile since I've been on this forum (or any SA forum for that matter, after leaving because of certain antisocial individuals and those pursuing an obvious agenda). It's posts like this, however, that make reading these forums worthwhile.

I haven't read anywhere that SA groups aren't well attended, but I'm starting to learn that. One of my counsellors started up a group in December of last year and we started off with two people attending (one of them being myself). Since then, I've done two interviews with local media (newspaper and TV), and posted ads at the university; the group counsellor has done newspaper and radio ads as well and we still have not increased the group's attendance.

I have several theories as to why this is, all of which are purely guesses of course. First, it may be the population. There's around 110,000 people in the city. The second guess, and perhaps the most likely, is the unfortunate fact that the very illness makes it impossible to go out and seek treatment. This is pointed out time and again on the various boards. When the problem is that you can't be around people, joining a group is a fairly radical step. Evening going to a therapist is too much for many.

All I can say is give it a shot. With 7-8% of the population purported to suffer from the disorder, there should be enough people to form a group of a fairly decent size.