social phobia and bullying links

kevd

Hello all.
I would like to know if like myself you can associate your Social Phobia with being bullied at school. :?:
I am new to this forum and really glad i,ve found it.
I am a 45 yr old male and still suffering 30 years later with depression,low self esteem,low confidence besides my intense fear of social situations.
WHAT DO YOU THINK :?: DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOU :?:
I WISH YOU ALL WELL IN THIS BATTLE TO OVERCOME THIS.

REGARDS KEV

JonnyA

Hi Kev,
Welcome to the forum. If you stick around, you'll make friends here. Including me if you like!

Going to school convinced me that no one apart from my parents would ever be kind to me. I was bullied, and even the people who didn't bully me didn't like me. From the age of 18 until recently (I'm 30), I avoided everyone. I thought people had nothing to offer me. That was such a mistake. I can't believe the incredible kindness of the people I've met here. Don't give up.

Lilminx

Yes i think theres a definate link at least there was for me.
My SA went alot worse in college after being bullied at school.

kevd

Thanks JonnyA AND FOR ANY OTHER REPLIES.
its nice to know that we are not alone in our battle with S.A.
These phobias are so powerful and ruin lives.Even the bullies cannot possibly realize what they are doing long term.
Virtually all social phobia seems to stem from a traumatic event such as bullying or abuse or even a childhood loss of some kind.
I never knew so many people suffered with this, and the heading YOU ARE NOT ALONE is so true.
A PROBLEM SHARED IS A PROBLEM HALVED.
So dont suffer in silence share it on this forum.

Kevd

alieno

Hi Kevd,

Yea, i would say bullying has contributed to my SA as well. Alot of people say it builds character but I think that's a bunch of crock because alot of people seriously get f***ed up pretty badly. I would say bullying is on the same level as abuse by family but you don't see the bullies getting in serious trouble. When I was a child I watched other kids being bullied in front of their teachers and nothing was done about it, they just watched and even joked around with the bullies. Those teachers should of been fired and the bullies put into therapy. I heard about this study they did on Rhesus monkeys that found 20% of the population to be socially avoidant or behaviorally inhibited and this matched the population of humans and apparently this behaviour is genetically passed on. But they also found that if they switched the infant monkeys at birth they would completely change and be very outgoing. So anyways, this 20% of the population is stressed out more by changes in their social enviroment and pretty much determines who gets to dominate who.

"This means it is possible that some of us are preprogrammed to watch for others who are more "dominate" than us, to evaluate the possibility, however slight, of their rejection, and to act in any way needed to indicate our social submissiveness. If our more subtle gestures, such as avoiding eye contact, do not reassure us of our acceptance, then we will act out more primitive responses, by escaping, freezing, or avoiding contact altogether. These responses, when reflective of a biological predisposition, will occur instinctually, with little or no conscious thought."

http://www.anxieties.com/sap-more.php

I always find myself being submissive to those who are more aggressive and larger than I am without being aware of it. Now I realize this and I try to ignore my impulse to back down from others. And I can blame most of this behaviour on bullying growing up as a kid.

Anyways, that's where martial arts classes begin. Then once you learn to fight, nobody can dominate you...unless they have a gun of course, but thats the way of a coward.

For most of us on here, this SA/SP is just a conditioned response to others and can be repaired with a little bit of work.