Social anxiety is getting worse

ff5fan19

I've had social anxiety since I was real young but in high school it started to get worse. i had no friends and was always bullied at school and at home by my parents. anyways, i graduated 3 years ago and it's not as bad as it was in high school but what's bothering me the most is talking to strangers. it's like i have 0 social skills. i know i do have social skills because when i talk to someone i'm comfortable around (family) then i can talk away but whenever i'm around someone i just met then i get all shy and don't know what to say. i hate being like this. like i said it's not as bad as it was in high school because i can do things i couldn't do like when i'm at a restaurant i could never order my own food. i had to make my parents order it for me because i was too anxious to talk. this happened all the way till the age of 18 and then i finally started ordering myself but i still get alittle nervous changing my order when i decide i want something different. what do you think i should do? i try and force my self to be in those type of situations but i just don't know what to say to the person. i'm on medication called "Effexor" but i don't really think i'm seeing a change now.

AlienGeranium

You've made improvements in the past, maybe doing the same here will continue your improvements? Like ordering your own food, you became more comfortable with it doing it over and over again, so practice/repetition may help. Maybe also try to figure out what your mentality was? You may not have been thinking about it, but how did you take ordering food or other things you can do now but couldn't before while working through it? Was it "hey, this isn't a big deal, I can do this?" or "There's nothing to worry about, thugs will go fine"? Because it sounds like, as with food ordering, you have the ability to do so, it's just the anxiety keeping you back. So maybe over time, practice and the right mindset will help?

ff5fan19

While I don't really like antidepressants, maybe you could try Celexa (citalopram)? It has an anti-anxiety edge in it.

i tried Celexa but it didn't help any. I've basically been on almost every type of anxiety medicine and none has helped