So Pissed Off.

Oz

I finally decide to tell my mom about my "condition" if you will, and she promptly tells me there is no way I have social anxiety because I go to the movies and social things once in awhile. I sure do love when even your god damn parents dont believe you.

Anonymous

They could be in denial...& possibly trying to talk you out of it... plus...in most instances, parents aren't familiar with disorders, so they will just conclude it's a mental illness and conisder themselves as normal and assume there is no way that you could not be normal as well. Considering the possibility also scares them into thinking that something could be abnormal about them, too, even though that usually isn't the case. It may take a professional to convince them. :(

Oz

well my mom seems to think she is a know it all and told me she called the doctor and the doctor said it doesn't develop until much later in life. I know thats BS cause I've done the research on SA and know it starts in childhood or your adolescent years, I'm 17 now. I am just pissed she LIED and told me she called the doctor and is trying to convince me I am fine and I dont have it, of course thats all just a guess. I dont know for sure if she called the doctor or not.

loucat

it sounds like your mum is in denial or simply doesn't understand. Have you explained to her how your SP effects you?

-Jp

mabey trieing to explain it to her what it means for you and how serious it affects you will help. let her read something about it. if she still won't get reasonable just go mad .....that's what i'd do but different situations sometimes call for different messuares

LilMissTragic

Like Jp says, show her some sites about SP, tell her that not SP effects different people at different levels. I think she is a little afraid and is trying to deny the fact because shes not sure about the phobia.

Oz

Well guys I guess I am somewhat of a hypocondriac (sp?) We learned about the axniety disorders about 3 weeks ago in psychology and ever since then I've been convinced I had SP cause I suck at talking in front of the class, which I've come to realise is quite normal.

FruitLooPs

Oz said:
Well guys I guess I am somewhat of a hypocondriac (sp?) We learned about the axniety disorders about 3 weeks ago in psychology and ever since then I've been convinced I had SP cause I suck at talking in front of the class, which I've come to realise is quite normal.

Well the obvious way to put it to rest is go see a professional yourself, like a psychologist who specializes in phobias or disorders and explain how you feel and see if they think you have it or not.

The only problem being finding somebody who specializes in that kind of thing, you will most likely need a referral from a doctor. If you have indeed have it, then take your mum in to see them - they can explain it to most people pretty well. :)