So a friend was joking around with me

Larry2

He called me a son of a b**ch a few times and I responded each time with something like "That's such a cheesy name." Mind you I love my mom too. The thing is, I took a sociology class where the teacher talked about how even putting women down as a joke (eg you hit like a girl) can be going too far. She also mentioned that if I don't say anything, I'm encouraging it. I told the friend a couple weeks ago how I prefer not to be called a son of a b**ch even as a joke and he said ok. Then again, if he really was trying to bully me, he would have said that my mom is a b**ch. What do I do should this happen again? How would these solutions sound:
1)He was only kidding, so is it ok that I call him something vulgar back?
2)Mention how he said he wouldn't say that again?
Also, am i sounding cowardly at all? It's only joking and I would prefer not to make something big out of this.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
He called me a son of a b**ch a few times and I responded each time with something like "That's such a cheesy name." Mind you I love my mom too. The thing is, I took a sociology class where the teacher talked about how even putting women down as a joke (eg you hit like a girl) can be going too far. She also mentioned that if I don't say anything, I'm encouraging it. I told the friend a couple weeks ago how I prefer not to be called a son of a b**ch even as a joke and he said ok. Then again, if he really was trying to bully me, he would have said that my mom is a b**ch. What do I do should this happen again? How would these solutions sound:
Also, am i sounding cowardly at all? It's only joking and I would prefer not to make something big out of this.

Ah can relate, actually had this happen to me with a family member. But I didnae say anythin', because she said as a joke, expecting me to say somethin' offensive back at her. And I didn't feel like come up with a comeback.

I'd go with the 2nd option, maself. First options would be kinda risky - because it's very hard to known how far is too far - like with the "You hit like a girl" example you just mentioned. It's depends if was said with the intent to make you laugh and not meant hurtfully. Or because you didn't saying those few times, he could be causing you hurt and not realising it.

Insult comedy treads a very fine line. Because the irony has be implied in the wording of the joke. Also how it's said is important. Anway...

Sounding cowardly? Ah don't think so, mate. Sensitive, I'd say. Aye. it's only a joke but it can get really annoying after awhile. Especially if the same jokes being said repeatedly. But then, most people don't come up with other jokes, if something gets a laugh once, some people usually stick with it.

Your friend might think it's still funny but you're gettin' irritated by it. Best to let him known "That joke's not funny anymore - could ya stop saying it, please?" You don't have to make a big deal about it, just make it clear to him how you feel - and don't get mad at him.

Anyway, that's ma advice on yer situation. Best uh luck with talkin' to yer friend. :thumbup:

darrens

Personally although it might sound a tad extreme if he said it again,i would think of removing him as a friend,not sure if is he an important friend or not,but should he say it again he is clearly trying to assert some sort of dominant role passively,and you would be happier alone than having someone sapping your confidence which would happen in this situation.

Last edited: