small talk

mrblack

what kind of smal talk has worked for you (or those that have tried it ) and gotten positive responses?

Cryptolysergick

Bologna and a half! I have started small talk before, I tried my hardest, cause sometimes someone will just interest you so much that you go for it. Also ask yourself "will I be here tommorrow?" thats what i did, of course i made a fool of myself and my SA became worse but, you have nothing to lose buddy!

SilverLiner

You can bet your bottom dollar that if you wait at a bus stop you'll get the biggest oppertunity to make small talk. There will always be that old lady that you can complain to about either how late the bus is or how terrible/good the weather is.

maggie

mrblack-i suck at small talk...especially at work :oops: ...but lately, i have been trying this...with my boss, or coworkers, customers........i try to initiate the conversation, ask the first question, instead of waiting to be asked, cause then if feel like on the spot or something.....i feel more in control speaking first.....cause i'm not nervously sitting back waiting for influx of questions....seems to be working for me :)

Horatio

no matter what small talk I attempt to use I get told Im ugly and to fuck off, so sorry cant help you there

Scottish_Player

IcanDoIt said:
i think you cant do small talks as long as you have SA..too sad..but thats the fact.. :(

I dont think that is the case completley.I work in peoples houses most days and it all depends on the person thats in the house if i can make small talk with them or not.For example like ive said before i can talk away to old people no problem and feel comfortable and then i get people who i just cant talk to without a bit of a stutter or even not talk to them at all.

As for small talk ideas i usely just start of with the typical one about how the weather is, from the persons reply i can then tell if they want to talk or not. Even things that are on the news that day like for example when the Michael Jackson case was on the telly i would use this to start a convo with the tenants just ask them their opinion on it. Football is another one,if its a guy, most guys like football (i dont :roll: ) but its just something to get it started and once the conversation is started it just finds its own way :D

clairet

I'm much better at talking to people out on the street funnily enough than I am talking with somebody in a room inside a place. For example, I'm pants at small talk in confined spaces, like in offices, at supermarket or shop check-outs or in the staff room but ok chatting with people at bus stops. I feel free-r (I spose to flee) when I'm out on the street. I'm pretty crap at small talk but I do love talking about the weather (i'm quite sad and always genuinely interested in people's opinions about it!) and late buses. Maybe I'm just an OAP at heart :)

Hope all that makes sense, I've got a hang over and stringing a sentence together is not so easy right now :)

Stormy4022

I never attempt small talk. Most of my life when somebody does get to know me they tell me " I thought you was a snob."

black_mamba

If you're at a checkout and have brought some grapes, offer the checkout person some. They usually respond well; they're hungry and bored and are very happy to be offered some fruit. Seriously!! No lie. :D Minimal talking involved too.