*sigh* Jobs

FaymeLevy

I have SP..maybe even Avoid Personality, because i've been partially housebound for 10 years (but partially, I mean, I leave 1 day a week to do the grocery shopping, that's it.)

I'm 24 and still completely dependent on my mother, and, apart from just feeling bad about it, she cant afford/wont pay for any kind of medical treatment (therapy or regular check ups). So time has come..I NEED A JOB.

But how does one get a job when they can't leave the house, talk to strangers, has no education or experience?

Was wondering what some of you did for a living..maybe some advice? This is really frustrating and massively depressing.

Dviln

Wow, I can't believe how much this sounds like me. I have Social Anxiety and maybe Avoidant Personality. I'm 25 and still completely depend on my mom as well. She can barely afford her medicine and I feel so bad because I should be taking care of her.

I was so terrified of applying for Medi-Cal but I did it. I thought I was finally going to get help. But no, I didn't qualify. I don't know what to do. I really need to go to the dentist but I can't affoard it. When I had insurance, I was seeing a psychologist and was on meds. I thought I would get better.

I tried 2 jobs, but just couldn't stay. I tried school as well but left because of my anxiety. Sorry I don't have adivce for you FaymeLevy. I guess I'm looking for advice too. Take care and hope things work out for you.

alter_ego

Apart from occasional courses, I was out of work for some years after a breakdown and thought I'd never, ever work again.

I don't know where I got the courage from, but I began applying for temp Xmas jobs in dept stores (you blend into the background in large stores). Anyway, I got taken on by one (they actually rang me and asked me to start 3 weeks earlier than originally planned!) I was terrified my first day (I hadn't told them how long I'd been out of work) but I managed Oct-Xmas Eve. What kept me going was the thought that it was a TEMPORARY job so, if it didn't work out, I knew there was light at the end of the tunnel.

After that, I took another TEMPORARY job (seasonal work, Easter-Xmas).

I was out of work a few months then I got a full-time job, where I still am. I'm not saying it's easy, but I HAVE made a few friends there despite my social anxiety.

So my advice to you is look for temporary work - even something that only lasts two or three weeks would boost your confidence.

Good luck! :D

IBM

I'm an avoidant too though i work. But everyday is a struggle and i hate it.

I have to think that i've a job that many would like to have to i try to find motivation to go work.