Shyness sucks

Jrock

I tend to deal with people only if I have to. I can function day to day activities (ie shopping, going to the store etc....) but as if I were to be invited to a party or social function where I was suppose to socialize and have fun; I'd have lots of problems fuctioning. There is where I disagree with CBT, because when I was younger I used to expose myself to those types of situations all the time. Always having the same problems, yet trying to "push" myself past it. Sometimes I was ok, mostly I was not. Now I am older and just avoid the situations completly making the my social life, friendships, and dating life all but non existant.

I've tried figuring out answers to this and believe we are just ****ed....We need to make the best of bad situations. Medication thusfar stinks....

I am curious to hear how this Oxytocin Nasal Spray will do though.......
I get better results (which are not great), by drinking a red bull before and during a social event then all those meds I have been prescribed for Depression/Anxiety/SAD

Does anyone have any Med suggestions that actually work

rafeeq

Hi JRock

From what I have read below, it seems as though you are throwing yourself into the deep end too soon.

Before I say anything further I would like to mention that I'm a programmer as well as shy. I have seen that many people in my profession do not respect the learning curve of a (technical) subject.

But social interaction is way harder to master than any technical subject.

For you I would suggest that instead of trying to become an expert in one day, you should instead have a plan of attack where you become social over time.

I sincerely believe that learning social interaction is something similar to learning mathematics or programming. I do not regard the people I see at work or in my family as being anything special. I believe if a shy person makes a sincere effort to keep himself in peek physical and mental shape he will overcome shyness by virtue of his increased feeling of self-worth.

Thank you for reading :D