Shyness being looked down upon - my rant

Meatwad

Sorry, I just have to rant here about how I hate so much how it is like shyness is looked down upon, like it's a bad thing. I always wish that I would be this outgoing person, but on the other hand, why can't I just be content with being shy and anti-social. There are plenty of shy people (of course I am more than shy, but whatever). Why does it have to be looked at like it is a problem. Plenty of people like us are pleasant, but are just not as eager to get in there and party with other people, but so what you know. Okay I'm done

Meatwad

I googled that and found this in an essay:

The Plan cites two studies that try to identify the skills engineers need to be more effective. The top three priorities of the American Society for Engineering Education are (1) team skills, (2) communication skills, and (3) leadership. The National Science Foundation agrees; engineers need, "communication and interpersonal skills, better teamwork skills, [etc.]"

This was actually my thinking when I posted that rant. I was thinking about how I have to apply for a job and the companies want people with good communication and interpersonal skills and leadership and I just don't have that. I don't know what I am supposed to put on my resume as my skills. It is so sad. There are always going to be others applying that have those skills. :(

Toad

moog said:
The top three priorities of the American Society for Engineering Education are (1) team skills, (2) communication skills, and (3) leadership. The National Science Foundation agrees; engineers need, "communication and interpersonal skills, better teamwork skills, [etc.]"

Well crap better switch my major now :p . I dunno...if someone wants to hire me they'll have to get all of me and if they don't want that, then I'll just start my own damn bussiness and run them into the ground :twisted: . Seriously though, even if we lack these skills, as grumblina said, these are not the only things an employeer will look at. Although others may have communication skills (my experience with this is that most engineers are pretty quite though), the companies that you apply for may be looking for other things that you excel in moreso than the other applicants. Maybe these characteristics are desired by engineering firms because they are so rare?

black_mamba

The main priority surely should be being able to get to job in question done effectively, not how well you can hold a conversation at the vending machine. Sad fact is if you don't really fit in with the general workplace atmosphere/personality you're not gonna get the job; I see this as fair, but the whole thing about employers seeking team skills over the ones required to do the job at hand - insane. 8O

Dragonfly

I would be content with just being shy. but this is more than that this is fear of people I guess, i think that is the difference, maybe, not sure................. I know people who are shy and quiet but content and ok with it.................. it would be, its just this fear thats always there..................if that makes any sense at all...............

mogs

Hi, you should go for the engineering, I found it in a list of jobs for introverts!!
It said that you tend to work in a small office with other engineers some of which may have aspergers syndrome themselves? That's what I read anyway.
You will also probably get used to this small group of people people soon too! Hope this helps!

mogs

Also in the search of this forum for engineer, I got a lot of results to do with jobs for shy people. It's probably a similar kind of job to being a scientist.

Sure, it's good to be able to talk to the other engineers, but it's just like a little normal talking/chatting, which everyone does in their job. They put down "good communication skills" in every job lol.

I think though that in engineering, it's more like are you smart enough, and are you a good engineer. I also heard on programme about design engineers for Jaguar, that there will always be a high demand for good engineers.

Ask some engineers what their job is like on a message board perhaps!

Good luck

no1

Banned
It's looked down upon if you are a male because women are usually very judgemental and they are brought to believe many lies.

But if you are a woman it usually doesn't matter.

this_portrait

This is why I'm going into PHOTOjournalism. I get to be behind a camera all day and don't have to worry too much about communicating with other people. In fact, I'll get to piss people off more because hardly anyone likes the people with the cameras.