Should I or Shouldn't I

Meatwad

::sigh:: So once again I am fighting with SA hindering me..This is my situation:
I am friends with my assistant manager at my work (retail) and now he is going to be moving 2 hours away and his last day is on Friday, which I am very upset about because once I finally make a friend, of course they leave. :( A group of people from work are going to a restaurant on Thursday because he is leaving. I would like to go, but I am so worried about how it will go....The people going all know each other more because they work full time together and I would only really know him and a couple other people. And all of these people are outgoing and don't have a problem talking. I worry that if I go I will just be awkward and silent and stupid. Grr..I don't know whether I should go or not, it sucks.

paul

I agree with Masterpiece2-- you could at least stay for a little bit and depending on how things go, stay longer/shorter. Since you're his friend, you'll probably be a little more... (can't find a word) more respected? I mean, it's not like you're an outsider who doesn't know anybody.
SA makes it seem like they are judging you. But in reality, they're not. And I know how useless that was for me to tell you that cuz a) you already know and b) the anxiety will still be there.

If you go, good luck with it!! :)

Sue

i think you should go. you never know what will happen. if you get talking to afew of them or even one of them it will be alot easier on you when your frien leaves.

id talk to the people your friend talks to and start from there :wink:

cody2468

I agree with Sue. I think you should go. You have got nothing to lose. If you have got severe SA like I have the more you avoid doing things that you fear the worse it gets and you will never overcome it. You have to face your fears. Try going just for a little while to make an appearance. If you start to feel uncomfortable then say you have to go. The first one or two times you go out you may feel uncomfortable but it will get easier once you expand your comfort zone a little bit more. If you don't know the other workers very well this is the perfect opportunity to get to know them better or at least try. I know it's hard but well worth the effort.

black_mamba

I went to a restaurant party recently where there was someone in the same situation as you moog. He got his friend to come outside so they could walk in together. And they sat next to each other, he was introduced to everyone but no-one complained of the newcomer being too quiet (even though he only spoke to one or two guests). He was definitely welcome as he was friend of the party organiser! I tried making him feel relaxed by showing him the food system (it was like a open grill, pick your own ingredients thingy) and everything went well.

Everyone has given great advice here...I'd definitely say try it, and you may even solidify your friendship with this person more by going (even for a little while) so it'll help you keep in contact in the future should you wish to do so.

Good luck, and enjoy it. :)