should i be worried?

well went to a GP today to try some differnt meds as ive been using effexor, and i suggested i might like to try paxil which is said to have be good with anxiety as well as depression, to which my doc replied whats that? and i said google it....now its australia and its not sold here under that trade name but i thought everyone would atleast have heard of it before?....and then she surprised me again when she had no idea that psychiatrists actually perscribe types of stimulants for anxiety...she said "like what amphetamines!?" ....i said of course not....no there its stimulants made to treat anxiety...."like what"....sorry i can't recal the name, i said.......she then mentioned a particular benzo...i said no its not a benzo...she had no clue. its like she assumed i was a hard drug user and just wanted another fix or somthing...should i see a different doc?...i know i need to see a psych to get on the right meds but you still need to see a gp first to get reffered. i told her i'm sure i'm suffering from avpd...and she said sarcastically "ohh are you know" like i was making somthing up....i said look i know its seems stupid me sitting here telling you what i have having self diagnosed myself, but i've been to many a GP and told them my symptoms and all i get perscribed is anti-depression SSRI drugs. she was more understanding after that comment and i got somewhere, but i didn't need the sarcasim in the first place.

Last edited:

Hottie

Hey,

Look in my opinion you should change your doc if you not happy with her. I myself wasnt happy with two doctors and in the end i ended up with the doc i knew since i was a baby.

My doc is refering me on to a psychaitrist. He told me, that because all doctors have a general knowlegde in medicine, psychairtrists are specialized in MH and meds. So that is now the route i am taking.

Because we each know how were feeling and we know what going on, we expect out doctors to know the same and more. So if you are not satisfied with your current doctor, it maybe no harm to check out someone else. Just my opinion though.

As well, just something on benzo's. I took them for a few events, now i need them for a few events. I will have a hard time not having them when i do give them up, as i will do one day. So just my advice dont start them, especially dont start taking them regular if you ever do.

Regarding the doc...do whats best for you - go with your gut instinct...

:)