Shot in the dark: Anyone here in the game industry?

LostViking

Right, as the topic says, this is somewhat of a shot in the dark. I'm back at the stage where I'm desperately trying to figure out what I wanna be when I grow up (ie never!). Due to the combo of SA and depression hitting me badly for a while I've failed a bit at university and accumulated a bit of a student-loan thing, so I'm sort of getting to a point where I just have to make up my mind because I've likely blown the chances to take my time and pick up several degrees on my way. Not an awful rush however, since I'm sort of waiting until summer to see if some stuff will work out or not. If it doesn't, I will likely try to get a job of some sort to keep me occupied for a year or so.

Anyway, to the point. Working with what you love can be cool, and probably not an overall bad idea, and in my case this is computer games. I've had my eye on this industry for quite a while, and one job description I've stumbled across a few times that really interests me is that of a Game Designer (at least that is the name of the position in this case, I have a feeling there's a few different names for the same vegetable out there).

Key Responsibilities:
• Creates story concepts.
• Working within the framework of the critical path, create compelling, intriguing plots, subplots and characters.
• Responsible for all dialogue, journal entries and rewrites.
• Responsible for solid understanding of IP and overall story/critical path of project.
• Maintains materials and completes writing assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style and terminology.
• Reviews documentation and recommends revisions or change in scope, format, or content.
• Continued research and development with a focus on existing writing and improving performance.
• Shares demonstrated writing skills with other team members.
• Peer review research and development from Writing Team.

One thing that has hampered my urge to get into game development before is math, I fail at it and I do it in a very epic way. On the other hand, I did fare well in languages, writing, social science, etc. Now, if I could actually manage to write fiction again without getting stuck between each sentence due to a brainfart, everything would be awesome, but I reckon this can be worked on. To be given the chance to work with, and create, a fictional world in the medium I love would be nothing short of awesome.

So, to the real point (I'm a slow chucklefrack, I know). Does anyone around here happen to work with anything inside the elusive business of game development? If so, raise your hand because I want to fling questions at you. Stuff like, exactly how hard is it to get a job like this, ie are there enormous amounts of people clawing away at them? And more importantly, what sort of eduction should I actually aim for here? I'm guessing that if such a career is what I'm after, then programming and computer tech in general may not be what serves me best.

/axe

<3

theres a guy in rmxp.org forums that works for ubisoft or something. sign up and search for him, i dont remember the nickname.
also, i wont tell you, try to figure out what that site is about. maybe youll find a great hobby and see if you're able to make a good game.