seroxat...bad guy or good guy??

Anonymous

hi,

im suffering from depression accompanied by anxity, my doctor prescribed me seroxat, i took it for 2 days and stopped, it made me feel happy but anxity came to me in situations that were not causing me to be anxious before i took the med!!!
did anybody use seroxat/paxil before? are these symptoms that go away after a while?and did the medicine help?

wistful_dementia

Works, but use with caution...

I had the same problem when I started taking it again. I no longer have anxiety now that I my body has become accustomed to the drug. It took about 3 weeks. During those weeks I was actualy considering stopping the drug. It is probably the best drug that I have used to date that helps with social anxiety and depression, but of course I am not going to use it long term. Drug + CBT is best for long term change. But, beware...because I took paxil about 1 1/2 years ago and stopped taking it. I had feeling of electric shock in my head and for the first time in my life- I began having panic attacks. Those were the worst- I'll take SAD anyday over that feeling. Those lasted for several months. My plan is when it is time for me to come off of paxil- after i show improvement with SAD- I am going to ween myself off of paxil slowly- gradually reducing dosage- and then for a few months I am going to take zoloft to avoid panic attacks. For me zoloft is less effective for treating SAD, but has much less side effects. So if you continue to use paxil realize it is effective but use cautiously and under medical supervision. I also wouldn't recommend using it if you are a teenager.

Anonymous

for how long did u take paxil 1 1/2 years ago? i mean whats the safe period to go on paxil and still quit and have no side effects.
i ve seen this ekectric feeling probably in every subject that speaks about paxil/seroxat.

wistful_dementia

I took it for about 6mnths I think. The electric shocks came from abrubtly discontinuing the drug. They are withdrawl symptoms. I've heard about panick attacks occuring in other people, but that seems to be a more rare thing. In anycase- there is nothing wrong with getting a users personal experience, but I would also recommend talking with a medical doctor or psychiatrist for expert advice. There are also other drugs out there with less side effects you can check into.