Self introduction

CaptainArgh

Hi there!

Now that I have done the "safe" thing, trolled the site for a few days, worked up the courage to post in a few threads where I can appear clinical, detached and calmy define a problem in the usual way I feel I can actually introduce myself :)

Well, I'm mid 30's, qualified Civil Engineer, and am a textbook case of AvPD. When I read Martin Kantor's bible it really resounded with me, it described every single aspect of my life. I havent had any formal therapy, I have made an appointment a few times, but I cant seem to get myself into an office to sit down and discuss it with them.

Being honest I am at the end of my tether with regards to this whole thing. I need to reach out, understand that there are others like me so I can build up a reservoir of courage and actually tackle this thing. I find I cant enjoy too much anymore due to the massive pre-occupation I have with AvPD, all the thoughts in all the threads and what I "should" and "shouldnt" be doing, whats wrong, how to fix it, why I should be comfortable, how I should drive etc etc etc. I tried reaching out to my family, but they are as avoidant as I am, and still in the mad-crazy-in-denial-stage.

I was a bright kid, bullied excessively, didnt develop normal communication skills. Lets see, diagnosed with major depression (still persistant) and agorophobia (I got back out of the house for a coupla years, but I can feel the anxiety worsening again) and am the poster child for AvPD.

Sorry guys, I know long posts are almost impossible to read, but I guess I'm trying to open up.

So yeah, Hi :)

ImNotMyIllness

Love the name CaptainArgh! Welcome to the forum mate! I spent years in denial and in pain. I became a member of this forum a month ago and it has really helped me understand myself. It's like when people write about themselves they are also holding up a mirror. I see myself in so many of the threads its as if I could have written them!

Don't hold back any longer. With our disease, if you're not moving forward, your moving backwards! Good luck. You can do it!

eternalnewb

Hi CaptainArgh,
It's nice to meet you, and welcome to the forum
Reading your post makes me feel not so alone, so thanks:)