self help workbooks,cds

slimjim119

Anyone have success with any self help therapies. Thats what i am looking into at the moment. Dr. Richards program or the Midwest center's Attacking Anxiety and depression program. Where you try to change your negative thoughts to positive ones by lessons learned through workbooks and motivational tapes or cd's.

kernal

Has anyone had real success with self-help techniques? I'm curious if there have been studies comparing success of self help vs. therapy. Is the only benefit of therapy that you have more motivation because someone is watching your progress, or is there more to it?

slimjim119 said:
Anyone have success with any self help therapies. Thats what i am looking into at the moment. Dr. Richards program or the Midwest center's Attacking Anxiety and depression program. Where you try to change your negative thoughts to positive ones by lessons learned through workbooks and motivational tapes or cd's.

Midwest Center's Attacking Anxiety is bogus. Dr. Richards CBT is well meaning yet flawed. The self-help therapy that has really helped me is acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT). I've been doing ACT without any meds for almost three years now and my downward spiral has reversed. But ACT doesn't try to turn "negative" into "positive", it mostly wants you to just notice your unwanted thoughts. The latest ACT self-help workbook is called "The mindfulness and acceptance workbook for anxiety", it's awesome stuff. Do yourself a favor and try ACT before anything else.

suzi1010

David Burns and theman

I have found Dr. David Burns books and CD materials on Fear and Phobias excellent. I have also read some great posts in this board by "theman" and downloaded his fear program. Very helpful.