Self-Help Books?

this_portrait

Has anyone else ever tried out self-help books?

I bought a self-help book titled The Shyness & Social Anxiety Workbook last summer, but never actually used it, because I didn't think I really had social anxiety at that time. For almost a year, it was sitting under my bed collecting dust.

The other day, I dug it out and started really reading through it and filling some of it in. I figured that, since I can only do therapy during the school year when my health insurance is activated, I would use this book to help me set goals for myself and help me to treat my SA over the summer.

So far, I've been writing down all the social situations I go to, my fear level at them, any anxiety-provoking thoughts, physical feelings, and anxious behaviors I have while at them. At the same time, I'm going through the book and writing things down in it and trying to take the advice that it has to offer.

Anyone else ever tried this out?

Beany

I don't think I've tried that, but I read self help books. I hate how they get a bad rap for appealing to lonely depressed people. Self help books are awesome!
I recomend:
Feel the fear and do it anyways
power of the subconscious mind
Conversations with God

I've fallen into the self-help trap; only they are audio books, I cannot stop buying them.

Here’s a list

The Art of Conversation: How Talking Improve Lives

Quantum NLP

The Lowdown: Improve Your Speech

Memory: Tricks of the Mind

Masterthinker

Living a Life of Inner Peace

Build Your Self-Esteem

Develop a Powerful Memory

Develop Your Self-Confidence

Goodbye to Shy: For the Bashful In All of Us

Self-Esteem Affirmations

Sort Yourself Out

10 Days to a Sharper Memory

Be Super Confident In 30 Minutes

lettypagb

omg , so many books

actually i read any book about psychology

and this book about your personality that i forgot the name ,if anyone is interested send me a pm

this_portrait

I've read other self-help books before, but I never really tried any of the techniques suggested in them. This one that I'm reading seems to me like it's a good resource to use while I wait for the school year to start up again (when I can see my therapist again).

One thing I don't like about self-help books, though, is finding ones that are up-to-date. Luckily this one is up-to-date.

Nomadm

I've read Feeling good and Intimate connection by David Burn, and they're really helpful
And i like Robert Anthony books (beyond positive thinking, ultimate secret of total self confident) i get to understand myself better, accept me the way i am :)

PhantomPod

I'm currently reading one called, "Shyness: A Bold New Approach." It is by Bernardo Carducci PhD. It is pretty good and helpful. It suggests you get a "Shy Journal" and then it has all of these little exercises every few pages for you to write things down in your shy journal. It sounds similar to the exercises you've been writing down. I think it's a really good book. And I got it at a used book store for only $1!

oxygencult

Overcoming Shyness and Social Anxiety by Ruth Searle. I've got this from my local library. It's a great book, it's quite well-researched and easy to digest. It teaches you to how overcome negative thinking, making changes, how to cope with stress and anxiety... etc. There are a few tables for you to jot down your progress as well. I think it's quite helpful. It's a fairly recent book as well, it was published in 2008.

NothingElseMatters

I've fallen into the self-help trap; only they are audio books, I cannot stop buying them.

Here’s a list

The Art of Conversation: How Talking Improve Lives

Quantum NLP

The Lowdown: Improve Your Speech

Memory: Tricks of the Mind

Masterthinker

Living a Life of Inner Peace

Build Your Self-Esteem

Develop a Powerful Memory

Develop Your Self-Confidence

Goodbye to Shy: For the Bashful In All of Us

Self-Esteem Affirmations

Sort Yourself Out

10 Days to a Sharper Memory

Be Super Confident In 30 Minutes

try guy finley -secret of being unstopable
what is the one that helped u the most btw?