Self-Esteem in 4 months

madeup

I had my second onset of depression at the beginning of this year. The first thing that it hit was my self-esteem... I felt really down about myself.

I can't remember why I chose to do this but I decided to start listening to self-esteem tapes while I was asleep. Every night without skipping even one day I listened to a tape by Bob Griswold.

At first I disagreed with a lot of stuff on the tape but I kept at it anyways and eventually I came to be okay with what the tape was saying until finally I started believing it.

I stopped doing it after 4 months and that was 2-3 months ago and I still feel great.

Yesterday I made some tapes about some goals I have and I'm going to be listening to them every night to see if I can get the same results.

The book I'm reading now, The Happiness Trap, explains that self-esteem isn't really necessary to live a full life. Trying to attain and maintain high self-esteem could be more trouble than it's worth. Better to develop self acceptance.

www.thehappinesstrap.com

The Happiness Trap said:
Self-acceptance means you refuse to buy into the judgments your mind makes about you, whether they're good judgments or bad ones. Instead of judging yourself, you recognize your strengths and your weaknesses, and you do what you can to be the person you want to be.

madeup

Now that I think about it, the audio tape I was listening to had a unique take on things in that it was full of positive judgments like "You are intelligent, you are a good person" but at the same time it said stuff about not comparing yourself to others.

So it was like this completely optimistic outlook where everybody is awesome and different and the world isn't about how awesome we are in comparison to each other.

It was chalked full of self-acceptance too.

So yeah, I don't disagree with your book but living life is probably more fulfilling if you like yourself on top of accepting yourself.

Definitely record some of the stuff that book talks about into affirmation form and start listening to it at night... I think this stuff really works.