Selective Shyness

Delric

Anyone have this? Maybe it's a sign of hope, that I can overcome shyness one 'subject' at a time, or maybe it's something weirder.

In some areas I'm incredibly shy, and yet others completely the opposite?

Shyness points:
* Very quiet around people I don't know (and often those I do)
* Rubbish at making eye contact
* Won't go near girls unless I've been drinking and loosened up a bit
* I even have "bashful bladder" where you can't pee if there are others in the same room
* Hopeless at taking an interest in other people. It's not that I don't care what's going on in their lives or how their kids are doing etc, it's just that I'm usually too busy "being shy" to absorb such information.
* You will never catch me singing. Forget it.

But there are situations were I'm kind of opposite:
* On the internet. I guess it's the anonymity. But oddly enough, in anything online where you have a moveable avatar (Second Life, MMORPGs etc) I go all shy again despite the anonymity.
* On the phone (although at first I was quite 'scared' of using the phone). I will even tell people where to go if the need arises ;)
* Nudity. Like, I'll be getting changed to go in the lake or something and whilst my friends go hunting for a tree to hide behind I don't feel the need. Oh noes you might see a natural part of the male human body, who cares. (Well, with the exception of parents or kids)
* Job interviews. I know that employers hate shy people, as they're big on communication skills and teamwork, and so I manage to somehow "block" shyness during those moments. If only I could so full-time.

Strrange. If I could just figure out what was driving the positive ones and apply them to the negative...

Carol

I also have a selective shyness. I think I have sort of a selective social phobia in general. Sometimes I do very well and feel like there is nothing wrong with me. I know I do pretty well when I'm very busy and just don't have time to dwell on my insecure thoughts!

kane

Yes that's true. I'm open and very outgoing on the internet, have so many friends online from around the world.

No problem with that, but when I am in any social situation in real life, even amongst people I know... I am a dead duck.

TAMPA-BAY

Select shyness

I alwayse wonder why they dont change the label to that cause all the people I chat with mention the exact same thing. We are not randomly shy. Its alwayse certing time and situations.

All we got to realy do is compare the situations and figure out whats it is that makes us feel anxious in one situation and then totaly relaxed at other times. I use to think it was just social situations but using the phone at home with no one around can be dificult if its a business call.

This anxiety realy is so selectise.

Lexmark

kane said:
Yes that's true. I'm open and very outgoing on the internet, have so many friends online from around the world.

No problem with that, but when I am in any social situation in real life, even amongst people I know... I am a dead duck.

I have no problems of shyness with..

- Any type of interaction with ANYONE on internet.
- Prostitutes.
- Elderly people.

and
- Drunk people of any age.

I'm a real socio-phobic in all other situations with all other people.

Except for prostitues im exactly the same
If someone drunk starts talking to me I use it as an opportunity to practise being sociol