Scientists confirm the part of brain in humans responsible for anxiety

goldatom

Did you read the news story about it? Here it is. This part of the brain is called the amygdala and it's small and almond shaped. From what I have gathered, it is the one which causes social-anxiety in us and all other kinds of anxieties, by forming connections from past events and associating them with fear. This anxiety increases the level of a hormone in the brain and body called catacholamine, which is similar to hormones released when we are in physical pain, hungry, sleepy, thirsty etc. - the craving hormone, which makes us crave for relief.

Strangely, the news report talks of a woman whose amygdala has stopped functioning. As a result, she has stopped being afraid completely! Wouldn't us socio-phobics want that :D? But seriously speaking, it would be life-threatening to lose all fear as you wouldn't know to keep yourself from harm's way.

missjesss

Banned
hahahahahaah that is amazing LOL I wish mine did'nt work !! I would love to not be afraid I think when I got panic attacks they indented into my brain that everything was scary whereas before I would say I only had mild s.a which didn't prevent me from doing anything other then mayb giving presentations and speaking up in a big group ...shops going out to dinners going tot he beach etc was so easy I wish I never got panic attacks :-(

goldatom

Well I think you had panic attacks because of some preexisting connections in your brains and not the other way round. But it's okay. The human body is complex and most people have some or the other problem. Don't worry, these problems can be fixed. Besides there's tons more that's working fine :)

goldatom

Hi, I'm Ash :) No, I haven't fixed my problems yet, but I try all the time. I also try to gain perspective on them and understand what I need to do.