scared of therapy

Meatwad

I am about to start therapy, and I am nervous. I went to therapy about 5 years ago for awhile and I hated having to sit there in front of them, all the focus on me, being looked at and having to stare back at them. Made me so uncomfortable. And I am nervous about showing my anxiety. I mean, I know they deal with people like me and know about it, but thats just it, they know! I don't like when people know I am feeling like that!

aligurl09

Hey!!! Well, in order to get better you have to see a therapist. there is no reason to worry about the session. the therapist is there to help you, not judge you. they aren't going to put you down in anyway. don't be nervous about sitting there.. and the truth of the matter is THE FOCUS IS ON YOU.. that is why you are there.. to get help and advice.. so stop being nervous about it and everything will be alright.. nothing bad is going to happen there.. only good things can come of it. in order to fix your problems with anxiety, seeing a therapist is a great way to do that, right? so hang in there... its a positive experience.. it may not seem that way now but in the long run it will. i hope it works out for you. do me a favor and post again about your first session i really wanna know how it goes and how you felt.. if you were nervous or not and if it was really that horrible of an experience. okie. bye for now!

- Aligurl09

cobble

Maybe itd help to think about why his judgement of you is that important in your head in the first place. He's not perfect either. He's human, which means he's got tons of problems and things that you would feel bad for him for. He's not God, nor has he been handed the one true standard by which to judge all other humans... it's different for every person, which means no one can ever be perfect in everyone's eyes. There isn't even such a thing as perfect. What he does have though is training and information that may help you get over your specific problem. Just let him help you, because that's what he wants and is trained to do.

Ensamniak

Hopefully you can hang in there and get help to overcome your anxieties. As it may be the only way of doing so. I had the same feelings at the psychiatrist office as well. In fact, my SP caused me to stop attending all together. And now 3 years later I have only gotten much worse, and am ready to return for help.

marc72

so sorry i feel your pain

I see what you are going through. When you say all these people looking at me. I am assuming you are talking about group therapy. Well I knwo exactly what you mean. but it is worth it by going. perhaps you can write short notes in brief detail .... about your overall situation and that will make you look at the paper and not at them. They will listen to what you are saying. Eventually you will get use to talking to them.

Or you can request for now, only ONE to one therapy. I like both methods cause they have been helpful to me. group therapy gave me exposure to people I do not know but have similar issues. Okay, when speaking about very intense detail about your life , you can look down and not at their faces. rust me over time, it will get easier. They are here to help it is their job like the other person said. :wink: Hey at least you are trying.

esp

I usually find it helps to just tell them how nervous you are, and then they can help you with that. Its funny that we get socially anxious about getting help for being socially anxious! :D

Ensamniak

esp said:
I usually find it helps to just tell them how nervous you are, and then they can help you with that. Its funny that we get socially anxious about getting help for being socially anxious! :D

That is funny :)

Reminds me of when I started a Yahoo chat room for Social Phobia and AvPD, with the welcome message saying "Welcome to Social Phobia chat, where noone chats" :lol:

Eli

moog-

i am there with ya! i have been to a ton of therapy over the years - though i never realized that i had anxiety until about a month ago - well i realized i was a nut case about stuff but i didn't realize there was a name for it until i joined a couple yahoo groups for AvPD and GAD.

i wish i could give you the magic advice that would soothe you and make going to therapy "easy" - the one thing that i think might be different for me at this point in my life is that i am more attuned to what i "have" now than i ever have been and feel more sure of what i need to deal with - ANXIETY - social and in general. i am not in therapy right now - i am waiting for my insurance to kick in - but i can say that from past experience - inpatient/outpatient, group and indivudual therapy (yea, done it all!) that when i was in therapy in the past i felt like i could never put a finger on what i needed to deal with and that made me feel even more anxious and self-conscious like i really didn't deserve to be in therapy (especially group situations) because i didn't have a label.

my suggestion just based on my gut feeling and experience is that if you do group therapy get into one that is SPECIFIC to anxiety/social phobia and if you do individual therapy make sure that you find someone who TOTALLY understands social phobia/anxiety - there is no reason that you should feel like you are the odd one out or that your therapist thinks you are just being too sensitive and need to lighten up - WE ARE REAL and what we experience is real.

hope this helps - you are welcome to e-mail me for support :)
elizabeth

BrownEyes

moog said:
I mean, I know they deal with people like me and know about it, but thats just it, they know! I don't like when people know I am feeling like that!
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I tried getting counseling last year at college and I lasted two sessions. I hated knowing that this guy, my counselor, knew so much about me. I hated discussing all my personal things; it really freaked me out.

A year later however, I really want to go back. I mean, if you just stay there (like for a good long while) it may just work and you may get over this condition. And thats, well, pretty well worth being uncomfortable for a few hours a day (or week).

My advice would be to go and stick with it. And if you are nervous, who cares. Arent we nervous anyways? LOL.

BrownEyes

esp said:
This is just hilarious. I really think that is the secret to how I succesfully went through some of my very scary interviews (for my premed program and for work). I remember being so nervous and thinkg, "who would ever hire a nutball like me?" But when I got into the interviews I said "I'm really nervous" and both occasions the people holding the interviews smiled and told me it was okay, that everyone gets 'jittery'. From that point on I felt more confident or at least I felt I could 'fake' some confidence. And anyways, I got both things, acceptance into a great program and a job.

Sad part is that I quit the program 3 years later because of my SA and right now I'm on the verge of quitting my job....

Fighter86

Hope this helps....

Hey Moog, although I generally don't feel nervous around strangers( I feel it more with familiar people- strange isn't it...), I still can understand the kind of fear u go through. I fear school & find interections with classmates, gp work difficult. :( Its the same fear, but in different situations. Maybe, you could try 1 on 1 therapy, might help you cope better since you are afraid of crowds. & maybe get some medication, will help relieve your anxiety. I was in such a bad state that I wanted to take some time off from school(which I had already done before), but had some medication & I think it helped quite a lot....still suffer from anxiousness, but at least I feel more in control, not like going hysterical & stuff... :wink:

Meatwad

Thanks for all of your replys. What I was talking about was one on one therapy...not ready for group therapy yet!

Anyways, Today I had my evaluation and it went really good. I am soo relieved. I was actually comfortable with this person, unlike the woman I went to 5 years ago. And she didn't make me feel like I was weird.
I am actually excited about going again, and I hope that I can go 2 to 3 times a week. I don't know how often people go to therapy normally...

marc72

yeah.

The most I went was 2 a week at one point . normally once a week. I am glad you felt good this time around. Keep it up. I know it must be great talking your heart out about your issues to a professional or someone that just doesnot judge you. :lol: