Saying goodbye to my future

hulkamaniak

Hi, im new to this forum, im happy i found it, its great. Anyway I got into Uni, a film and television course but didnt think about it too much till i got there . . and every part of work is all group orientated, my social anxiety just gets in the way and i know ill feel really bad every day at uni for the full 3 years, is it normal that im pulling out, im getting alot of slack from people saying im using the anxiety as an excuse etc.

LostViking

I tried to study multimedia for a year (was a nice mix of film, television, programming, graphics, etc). I truly regret not being able to stay there and study it, but had to bail out and go for psychology due to it being more of a "read on your own" course. So you're not alone, and I think I know exactly how you feel.

Would it perhaps be possible to talk to someone at your university and explain that you have Social Anxiety so they are aware and maybe can let you adjust the assignments into something you can do without a group? And are you receiving any treatment such as therapy? If not, then it's not a bad idea to get started with it.

hulkamaniak

LostViking said:
I tried to study multimedia for a year (was a nice mix of film, television, programming, graphics, etc). I truly regret not being able to stay there and study it, but had to bail out and go for psychology due to it being more of a "read on your own" course. So you're not alone, and I think I know exactly how you feel.

Would it perhaps be possible to talk to someone at your university and explain that you have Social Anxiety so they are aware and maybe can let you adjust the assignments into something you can do without a group? And are you receiving any treatment such as therapy? If not, then it's not a bad idea to get started with it.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yer at University I got pretty suicidal and broke down when i got home so my dad brought me straight to the hosptial, ive only gone to 2 sessions of therapy, my pherapist wants me to go to a shop once a day for a week and start a conversation with whoever is working there. They also put me on these SSRI pills or something like that. Its good to know im not the only one though

But I know ill regret not going to the course, but at the same time id be happy because its going to cost 40,000 dollars, and it would be a waste if my phobia got in my way of doing the best I can

LostViking

If it costs that much then sit down and consider your chances to get through it with decent grades with SA interfering. Also check out your possibilities of signing off it, or putting it on hold until you've received some more treatment. Not trying to be pessimistic, but rather realistic. I managed to get a bit of debt due to student loan while I tried to study but fell out due to SA and depression. It's easy to think that it's going to work out, but often it doesn't.