sarcastic intonation

dzerklis

i recorded my voice for the first time some time ago and it surprised me in a negative way coz it sounded sarcastic, but i didnt pay much attention to it though, it was just strange. Last week i started going to english courses and we often do tasks where have to read sentences and this sarcastic intonation makes me feel very uncomfortable coz i feel others are uncomfortable, looking at me to check if im not laughing at them. Today i cought myself several times on thinking sarcastic thoughts about myself, now i dont know what to do, change my attitude or intonation or both, and is it really so bad or i just thnk so.
has anyone else had problems with their voices intonations :?:

alicia_

Hey, ive had people comment on my sarcastic tones. I kinda use it as a defensive mechanism coz ppl dont know if im being serious or not (most of the time im actually being sarcastic). if you wanted to change it i would start with the attitude which your tone should reflect :?:

I think everyone is surprised by how they sound on tape! Maybe practice reading out loud at home and try focusing on the content rather than the delivery. Try to convey that the information is interesting?

dzerklis

thanks, yes i think its this defensive mechanism too in my case. I like practising out loud but i can do it only when home alone, which happens rarely :(

Scottish_Player

I never listen to myself on tape or watch myself on video or spend to long looking in mirrors, these are things in my opinion that just make SA worse, they make you more self concious and paranoid

I know things may not be that simple for some but try not to let it bother you too much.

Have you ever had nayone comment on the way you talk? if not then i would just carryon the way yu do and try not to listen to yourself on tape too much

dzerklis

thanks for advice Scottish_Player but i have to train my voice as often as i can and recording it is a good method. I dont speak much at all, my sp is severe, there are days when the only words i say are 'hello yes no good sure i know' and it sucks. My voice is unclear and in social sutiations i speak too silent. Actually i like listening to my voice on tape, i mean my real voice, when i feel confident.
yes, parents often criticize the way i talk, not to mention how i speak on the phone, not speak but whisper, but some days ago they said they have noticed progress.

cherish

i have a big problem coming off like a jerk and very guarded because i use sarcasticness as my defense also. People tend to think i'm more of a cocky arrogant asshole than a nervous person. I worry about it too because i didn't realize how much it effects the way people see me. I'm totally not a jerk and i hate people like that. Just when i am uncomfortable it happens.

jayfan

cherish said:
i have a big problem coming off like a jerk and very guarded because i use sarcasticness as my defense also. People tend to think i'm more of a cocky arrogant asshole than a nervous person. I worry about it too because i didn't realize how much it effects the way people see me. I'm totally not a jerk and i hate people like that. Just when i am uncomfortable it happens.
i know exactly where your coming from . im always depicted as some kind of conceited , stuck up jerk .
im freakin ugly as hell,how in the hell could i possibly be conceited. its actually quite funny in an ironic kind of way. the ppl who know the real me - tell me im such a cool, nice and funny person. theyre could be lying to me though. :?