SA Partialy cured, but new problems

Scottish_Player

Ive was in hospital for nearly 2 weeks with some sort of virus and a suspected epileptic seizure, this being in hospital has for some reason help partialy cure my SA, as i was practically paralized for 3 days flat out on my back and i needed people to wash me and feed me and help with the toilet, all the stuff that my SA nightmares are made of, having all this done to me has help take down some kind of mental barrier if that makes sense.

But my problem is that they are treating me for epilepsiy even althought they are not sure if it was an epaleptic fit, they think it was more so a virus that caused the seizure, and now i need to give my licence up for a year which iam not too happy about just handing over like that, i do about 20,000 miles a year and that shows that i really do need it. Since i came home ive been reading on the net all about epalepsiy and driving and ive found that panic attacs can be mistaken for seisures some times?? is this true and has anyone ever been in this situation, the main thing is i cant really afford to give up my licence and i need to find a way out of it but there is no one i can really ask.

Any help or advice would be really really appriciated.

Scottish_Player

Hi Worry Doll, yep i really dont wanna loose my licence as for me it would be like losing my legs and i also feel i have been misdiagnosed, as they said they werent sure what caused it but they are going to treat me for epilepsy to be on the safe side, i dont think they actualy realize how much it affects people by taking there licence away, especially someone with SA.

I thought i would ask on here as there is more chance of someone having the same situation due to anxiety or panic.

niknik

I had a similar thing, it wasn't a seizure but I passed out a few times whilst having panic attacks. I was lucky, my doctor fought my corner and I didn't lose my license.

I understand the consequences of passing out behind the wheel of a car so I'm not sure if I would have been relieved or not to have had the choice taken away from me by someone else, rather than it laying on my shoulders.

I also understand that your mobility can be your lifeline. I sometimes think that if I were no longer able to drive it would make dealing with my SA so much harder.

The only thing I can add is that you must think and believe that you were lucky to have had the seizure type episode whilst not driving. I know I would. Hope that makes sense. :)

Scottish_Player

niknik said:
I had a similar thing, it wasn't a seizure but I passed out a few times whilst having panic attacks. I was lucky, my doctor fought my corner and I didn't lose my license.

How did your doctor go about getting your licence kept? my doctor is very good but iam not too sure how to go about asking him about it, when i passed out i hadnt eaten 2 days before it, i had only had about 6 hours sleep in the previous 3 days and i also had the added strees of Jury duty which i only managed 1 day of and had to phone in sick for the rest of it. So feeling the way i did i would never have driven anyway asi was too ill too, i dont know if it was the strees and worry of jury duty that brought it all on and the doctors are just putting it down as epilepsy to cover them selfs

I really cant and dont want to loose my licence because i will just end up house bound for the next year and it wont do me any good.

Thankks for the reply
Mark

niknik

My doctor knows me. She knows my full history so it was easy for her to put all the factors together. What I mean is, she knew about my SA, she knew I hadn't been eating as I hadn't been able to shop, she knew I hadn't called anyone to help me out, she knew I was so stressed out that I was likely to snap at any time and she knew I might get to the stage of passing out one day as I had collapsed a few times before, due to panic, but not completely passed out as I did that first time.

The only thing I would suggest is to put all the mitigating circumstances together and present it to whoever is involved. If your doctor won't fight your corner to keep your license, and he/ she knows you extremely well, I would seriously consider that maybe, just maybe, you should step back and think what might happen should it happen again and you have a serious road accident. Doctors don't tend to overreact. They err on the side of caution when they believe there might be other health issues outside of your SA. That's my experience.

It doesn't seem that I'm saying what you want to hear and I know how I would be if it happened to me. I don't think I'd be able to cope at all. I think I would lose my footing on where I'm at right now, the flip side of that is that at least I would be alive to fight another day and start my battle with SA again, not lying dead on the road. Dramatic? Yes. True? Also yes I believe. x