SA mutated into schizoid personality disorder

elProscrito

I wonder if anyone has the same problem.
I've been fighting with my SA over the last years and I think I have eliminated the anxiety but i still don't go out and i just can't find any real, close friends.
I don't know what is wrong with me. I thought that when I get rid of anxiety everything will be normal, but I am still alone. I think I just can't form any close relationships. During all my childhood and adolescence I don't think I had one close friend. I met with people only in school.
Now i feel like I'm an observer, always detached. I started wondering if I have schizoid personality disorder. Sometimes I even feel like I just don't really need other people.
Does anyone have similar experience?

r0ck0ut04

elProscrito said:
I wonder if anyone has the same problem.
I've been fighting with my SA over the last years and I think I have eliminated the anxiety but i still don't go out and i just can't find any real, close friends.

I think close friends are hard to come by whether You have Sa or not and I think some people are lucky to have one or two the most specially when you get older. Most people I ever meet going out are acquaintances I wouldnt call them friends.

LittleMissMuffet

I think one thing that would definetly help is if you didn't self-diagnose and try to find something "wrong" with you.
Since when can a person not be on their own?

I think that there is a lot of prejudice and insecurity about having friends and having a social life in people. And most people tend to see introverts as lesser than extroverts even if they tell you that they don't. I even know a concelor whose husband is introverted and I can see by her expressions and some things she says off guard that reveal that she does see him as lesser.

So the first thing is to question whether you judge yourself for wanting to be a certain way, in this case not wanting to have the company of people, and ask yourself honestly what your feelings are. Maybe do a list of pros and cons of being on your own. It shouldn't matter what society might call you -whether it is "Schizoid personality" or "social misfit" or worse names- these are all its own judgements. These are 'the mob's' idea of what is acceptable and what isn't -and as if society gets it right al the time (at least half of the time, it gets it wrong).

But I'd say to make your own rules in this life and judge for yourself what is and is not acceptable.

....well, if you have already done this and you make the assessment that you are unhappy based on your own beliefs of what woould make you happy and not some group of people who tell you what happiness is ...then again I wouldn't jump to labelling yourself as an outcast and as tainted. You just have things to work on like everyone does. I think that the label of Schizoid Personality Disorder is unfair because it is based on the assumption that in order to be "normal" and not have a disorder, that a person must fit certain criteria that society invents.
The "rules" of this game are all made up. And why begin from describing yourself in terms ("Schizoid Personality Disorder") that renders you as faulty and flawed to begin with? ...why not call yourself quiet and dreamy or a bookworm or such things as this.

Invent yourself according to your own terms and sense of values. I mean, if all people who prefer to be alone have a disorder than what of monks who deliberately seclude themselves and meditate? ...society accepts them as "normal" becuase they are doing this for 'spiritual reasons' -but did you ever think that maybe you are as well?

Other than that , if you are truly unhappy, you could join a club that meets regularly and does some activity that interests you. This way it would be like school where you interact but you can still be alone later.