SA and...Speed Dating??

Imhotep

Thought I'd share this to see if anyone can draw any conclusions.

I recently attended a Speed Dating event in my home town. Speed Dating has always been one of the things at the top of the list of "things you would never get me to do never ever ever even in a million years". However, in a fit of optimism and self-loathing, I signed up.

As the event got closer, I started to get THE FEAR. Then, one thing that might have influenced all the rest happened - the event was cancelled. I had a bit of a mixture of emotions (relief being the main one, I admit), but I had a lot of time to think about my reaction.

Then, when the event finally took place a few weeks later, I found myself strangely calm about the whole thing. I was nervous, but it seemed a kind of "normal" nervousness, if you know what I mean. I ended up having a good time and even got quite good at coaxing information from nervous women and generally being charming and witty.

Now, this is a huge thing for me, and it's left me wondering a couple of things: am I "getting better" or is the controlled three-minute format of Speed Dating not that scary after all? It seems a good place to practice social skills actually, and I can't wait to try it again.

Incidentally, nothing came out of it - I ticked a fair few women but got none back. Normally, "rejection" like that would have bothered the hell out of me, too, but I remain strangely philosophical about it all.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

JCS008

I don't know you or your conditions, but that still seems like a huge step if you do in fact suffer from SA. I mean, even people who don't have SA find speed dating stressful. I don't have SA, but even the thought of ever trying speed dating makes me nervous. Sure, the other people are going through the same thing, but sometimes just putting yourself out there makes things stressful enough.

Congrats for going through it and having a good time. I always thought of it as less scary than real life because of the controlled, predicable environment. I might try it one day just for the exposure experience.