SA and GAD

Pleut

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be here or not, because I've been diagnosed as depressed since I was 17 (almost 22 now) and was suffering from depression for years before that (and with mentions of bipolar), but last month my GP told me it wasn't that after all, but was 'just' General Anxiety Disorder.

How closely related to Social Anxiety is that?
I'm normally okay in social situations because I built up a 'persona' to hide behind, but when I meet new people or friends of friends that I've spoken to before, I get insanely nervous and often have anxiety attacks and have to cancel.

Also, sometimes I just random freak out about having to deal with people (which makes work really hard sometimes - right now I should be in work, but instead spent the morning trying to stop myself retching and not being able to breath)

Sorry if I'm in the wrong kind of forum by the way. I'm just feeling a little lost - I've been fully functioning for a few weeks and wasn't expecting to feel like this again for a while.

Hannes

Hi there,

I am also new to these forums but I think you are in the right place. Did you know that depression and anxiety disorders normally go hand in hand. The fact that your attacks come and go is normal as well.

The thing which you could begin to do is to start your own anxiety journal and document when the attacks took place and what your feelings were at the time. This way you can begin to build up a refrence to help you begin to establish the patterns and causes of your attacks and depression.

The better you know the enemy, the easier it becomes to understand and overcome it.

Regards,

Hannes

Pleut

Thank you. My family doctor didn't get it, so I moved doctors when I moved house, but I'm moving again next month so will probably switch back.
Luckily, my mom is understanding and will come with me to back me up 'cause I always chicken out of being firm with them.
I'm a lot better than I used to be, I dropped out of college twice because of not being able to face going out, but I've had my job for a year now and only had a few days off because of it :)

I like the idea of the journal, so I'll have to try to do that :)

Thank you x