Robinul/Avert/Glycopyrrolate

Hey guys, I got some questions that need answers!

I'm going to the doctor in a week, and we are going to talk about my HH and what meds I could possibly get, and I REALLY want Glycopyrrolate!

I am 6'2'', 170 lbs, pretty skinny, and have a pretty fast matabolism. Ever since I can remember, my face has always been a little red, but not horrible. It just gets flushed when I'm super hot or something. But, I have read that facial flushing/blushing is something that comes along with HH.

I have HH of the palms, feet, and GROIN! The groin is my most embarrassing for sure!!!! I just want my groin and hand HH GONE!

So, I'm wondering if Robinul/Avert/Glyco will stop this sweating completely when I'm on the meds? Will it make my face really red and hot? I'm a little scared about building up a tolerance to the drug, and it bums me out! I'd only be taking it 4-5 times a week, for school. I wouldn't on weekends and breaks.

Have you built up a tolerance to it? Let me know, anything helps!

Peace and love.

margiehope

I have been taking glyco for about 3 years now, and have NOT built up a tolerance. Mind you, I adjust the dosage, taking less or none on cool days, or ones when I'm not doing much.

On the hottest and most humid days, I still perspire a little--but that's OK. I do get red in the face, though. Still, I prefer it to the old days of soaking wet-carrying a facecloth around--looking and feeling like a complete dork!

This is promising! Thanks for your reply!
Is your red face really noticeable? I'm thinking when I start the medication I'm going to carry ice cold water around and little candies to keep my mouth dry...what do you think?

margiehope

I think my red face IS noticeable, but that's mostly when I'm exercising, so I think I get away with it.

The hard candies are a good idea, and ice water is a good idea anyway!

Oh, well what about when you aren't exercising? Like when you're just sitting down, would it be really red if I was just sitting down in class?

I guess that's a small price to pay for dryness.

margiehope

No it isn't red just sitting--it might be, I guess, if temp and humidity was sky-high, but I hope your classrooms aren't like that. Mostly it's fine. Trouble is that HH is SO individual--what happens to me isn't necessarily what will happen to you.

Good luck!

hyp-hi

Depending on how much you take, it may or may not make you completely dry. For me, I take 2mg in the morning. This may not stop sweat completely, but it does help. I find if you start taking more, that when you start getting side effects like dry mouth and eyes.

I have not noticed and redness of the face or skin while taking it. As far as tolerance build up, again, it's not noticeable, but like you plan, I only take it when I think I will need it.

bigchris

The doctor wouldn't give me robinul but gave me ditropan instead which is basically a shitter version. It sometimes feels like my face is really red and I look in a mirror and I'm not that red, people don't notice or comment on it at all. I really wouldn't worry about that.
Personally I have only heard positive things regarding robinul, and also to do with build up, can you avoid taking it on weekends? I agree you should alter doses and not take it at all to avoid resistance. I took 1 tablet of ditropan today (thats sometimes a quarter of what I used to take) after 4+ weeks of not taking it, it was one of the hottest days in a long time and I was fine. :)

margiehope

Don't know any down sides to ditropan, so if it works well, I'd stick with it. (But have never taken it.)

Curious--did your doctor give reasons for no robinul?

Phantom

i posted a similar post. im havin a doctors appointment tomorrow and gonna talk to my doctor about robinul. i have a feeling he might not let me take it because he called me a few days and said there were was to many side affects like dizziness, fainting, etc. but from what ive been reading online, mostly everyone doesnt have those side affects except dry mouth which IS a small price to pay. i have truncal HH too and starting school soon like you. Im goin to a school thats about 8 hours long this summer for a year and has those "black plastic seats!". Im scared... really scared. i kinda have IBS too and im hopeing robinul will treat or cure my HH and IBS all at once. i hope this week WILL be the week where i finally find a treatment for HH. good luck to you

bigchris

Don't know any down sides to ditropan, so if it works well, I'd stick with it. (But have never taken it.)

Curious--did your doctor give reasons for no robinul?

Well, side effects I get from ditropan, tiredness, dry eyes, dry mouth, I'm pretty sure they're just the same effects as robinul.

The only reason I can remember was "in my opinion, ditropan works better". From sounds of people using Robinul I don't agree with.

Well this sounds very good!
Like I said, I'm only going to take it for school (5 days a week) and special events, etc. I won't take it on weekends, spring break, winter break, holidays, etc.

From what everyone is saying, I'm excited!

Oh, by the way, does glyco help with truncal HH?

bigchris

As you take it orally, I assume it reduces sweat from all of the body - so, yes. My ditropan reduces my truncal HH a lot but often doesn't stop it completely, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

bigchris

Well, at the moment my backs completely dry, but sometimes, especially during exercise my back will sometimes be fully wet, this can happen if im slightly hot, embarrased or nervous so I always have to carry around a hoody or a 2nd layer. I think yes I do have a strong case of truncal HH.

Jezza

Yeah BigChris,

It was the same for me here in the Netherlands, I wanted glyco, but the doc gave me stupid oxybutynin (which is ditropan). I tried the Ditropan and probably of anything I've tried till today in terms of oral medication (and that is quite a lot in the meantime) it probably worked the best. It did quite well for my truncal HH and other bodily HH and there were even times where I could not get my hands to sweat...only after a while they would start to sweat whereas usual that would have been a lot more and a lot sooner.

Mind you I did only a relatively low dosage at the time, keeping in mind that in time I would switch over to glyco. But then some other things came up. The disadvantages of ditropan are obviously that it has a short working time, that it crosses the blood/brain barrier and that it isn't soluble in water...Basically, it works less well, and it has more side-effects.

Anyway...recently I went to the doc for glyco. Turns out it is not a standard drug in the Netherlands (and quite possibly not in the UK). It's basically never used, so in the end I went to a neurologist after others said he would have to prescribe it and the HE wouldn't prescribe it. So then I looked it up on the internet...It is possible to get it somehow (it is sparsely being used for people with excess sulliva), but you'd have to find a pharmacy who specially makes it and a doc who specifically prescribes it...*sigh* If you know anything about our system that will be about as hard as stealing a piece of meat from a grizzly bear...quite literally too.

So, what I need is another anticholinergic that is similar to glyco...(quartinairy amine) that is water soluble (for ionto), doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier and is available in the Netherlands...

Last edited:

Jezza

totallysoaked

Really, what it comes down too, is that when you have an oppertunity to get glycopyrrolate, you might as well take it. You're not going to die from it, you're not going to have any permanent damage, you already know everything you will know without actually trying it. These meds have been tested into oblivion in terms of safety since 1961, so the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work much. Your face getting red? Dude, if you're a girl, that's cute, if you're a guy, seriously...how red do you expect it to get? The sweating is bad, but some flushing...Anyway, who knows, maybe you get great results, which is entirely possible...

Get on with it.

/end Mr T snickers commercial

Last edited:
totallysoaked

Really, what it comes down too, is that when you have an oppertunity to get glycopyrrolate, you might as well take it. You're not going to die from it, you're not going to have any permanent damage, you already know everything you will know without actually trying it. These meds have been tested into oblivion in terms of safety since 1961, so the worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work much. Your face getting red? Dude, if you're a girl, that's cute, if you're a guy, seriously...how red do you expect it to get? The sweating is bad, but some flushing...Anyway, who knows, maybe you get great results, which is entirely possible...

Get on with it.

/end Mr T snickers commercial

I don't know if you took my previous quote offensively, but I wasn't trying to be rude AT ALL. It's all gravy!

bigchris

I'd take being red over being sweaty any day, there are 3 people I know that after often red, one is always extremely red and says its because of high blood pressure, they're very popular and have a lot of people liking them, same with the other 2. There is nothing wrong or unattractive it seems about being red.