road rage

maggie

..so I heard on the news last night there was road rage incident on highway 401 in Canada (near Toronto)..It involved two women, one in suv, one in car...i think the woman in suv wouldn't let woman in car move over to lane fast enough, didn't signal or something like that...so woman in car cut her off on purpose..(after they had been exchanging looks and gestures for a while).. The suv rolled over like 3 times, total write off, but the woman suffered only broken leg and a few more injuries(amazingly)...my point in this long post :roll: is that at least we are polite patient people, I know when I'm driving, I leave lots of room between me and everybody else (mostly cause i don't like to be looked at 8) , but also cause being involved in an accident would be social phobic nightmare for me 8O... So even though we have many issues that are hard to deal with, others have issues of their own, and at least we don't drive (or live) like impatient, selfish, crazy-drivin freaks! 8)

LilMissTragic

Because we suffer from SP doesn't mean we are all nicey nicey all of the time, i'm sure each of us have had times of selfishness or impatience, even crazy moments. I myself have been in a few situations that I could have handled better but anger got the better of me. I don't go around driving dangerously though and would never put a life at risk but SP or not, we all have our moments.

JoeRandomUser

I'm polite and patient too, for the most part. Until I get pushed too far... then I tend to explode. I guess I'm a pretty good candidate for road-rage, actually, but since it takes me a good while to finally boil over, my anger has never got out of hand while I'm driving.

There's nothing wrong with anger, really; I think properly expressing your anger is healthy. Letting it bottle up until you explode, however, is not...

wutnow

Road rage is bullsh:t.

It's recklessly playing with too many lives. When cars crash people get f:cked up and mangled. It's just preposterous to have someone wind up a quadrapalegic because some boob in a car felt disrespected and needed to commit a dangerous, anti-social act in order to rebuild their self-worth.

How selfish is that

:?:

Avoid it. I do. You'll feel better if you "let someone in" or wave someone else through an intersection.

"Some guy won't yield to me while getting on the freeway so my worth as human being has been destroyed. In order to restore it I have to show hositility to another person, endangering others, but redeeming my self worth."

No, I know I'm nicer than that.

Employing the common-sense approach here - relieving anger/ stress is good, but not while driving.

JoeRandomUser

wutnow said:
Employing the common-sense approach here - relieving anger/ stress is good, but not while driving.
Yeah I agree, wutnow, that's actually what I meant; I wasn't advocating road-rage. Maybe it didn't come across right. :?

Tim001

I can certainly see where SA'ers could be involved in a road rage incident. Think about what is at the root of the "rage". Low self-esteem.

People with low self-esteem tend to be very protective of whatever self esteem they may have left. They are on guard. Then along comes someone and with absolutely no respect for the person, cuts them off and in doing so, steals just a little bit more from this person. The body goes into defense mode and a road-rage incident starts. We take it personally and as a direct attack on us. We are defending ourselves.

It takes a great deal more self-esteem to drive defensively and courteously, let people in, and to brush off other people's idiotic behavior.

I commute 4 hours a day in Toronto and I also suffer from SA. I have had a few instances where I have lost my cool, but not to the point where it risks someone's life. That's just a little over the top.