Religious OCd

HatesOCD

Hello I love this site and have gained a lot of knowledge through it. I've had OCD for almost 20 years and it has gotten worse lately. Mine is religious OCD. I have to have images of someone before I can eat, sleep, walk or just about anything. If an image of a person is not in my mind I get panic attacks, anxiety, and extreme nervousness. Now if I see someone who I want to use as an image and they are wearing a cross, have a certain name, or wearing certain clothes I can't do an image because I think in is sacreligious and become panic stricken. Anyone ever heard of this type of OCD?

ImNotMyIllness

Hey, HatesOCD! I hate OCD too!

I think the first step in beating your OCD, is stopping the behavior of having to see an image before doing anything. From what you've written, your OCD does not seem fear based. i.e If I don't see this image something very bad will happen. But, seeing an image does seem to calm (or soothe) your state of mind, which is the fuel for the compulsion. My advice (easier said than done) is to do something without having to see the image first. Force yourself, over and over. When you eat, when you go out....etc.

Now, fear based OCD and Religious OCD are something that I know quite a lot about. I've suffered from both for many years. My OCD actually started as a young teenager in Church. I grew up in a very strict Christian home. While in church I began to have sacrilegious thoughts which put me in a panic. I remember praying profusely while sweating in fear. Funny, the day I became nonreligious, the OCD thoughts disappeared.

I wrote a thread on OCD and unwanted images. Probably not applicable to you but you may be able to find something helpful in it. Keep fighting, don't give up! Thread below:
http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/unwanted-thoughts-images-how-to-beat-it-45763/

Last edited:

HatesOCD

Thanks for the reply. Seems you had some of the symptons I have now. I've been using the images so long it seems as if they're a part of me now! Did you do cognitive behavior for your ocd? I just found out I have high blood pressure and I think the medicines for that have interacted with the paxil I take and now it doesn't seem to be working at all.
I'll give your idea a try.

ImNotMyIllness

You're very welcome. I don't know anything about cognitive behavior. I also didn't see a therapist. I just got rid of it on my own. Don't feed your OCD, don't be afraid, don't be ashamed and it will starve! You can do it too!

HatesOCD

I'm going to try what you suggest. I try to talk myself through it but it's still there. I'll keep doing and maybe it will get easier and easier. Thank's for the words of encouragement.

ImNotMyIllness

If you seem images, ignore them. Remember, those are just OCD blips in your head. I have inappropriate OCD blips that float through my head from time to time....some are truly WTF!!!......But, I ignore them......It's just chemicals running amok. No big deal.