Reaction to tragedies

^ One thing that has haunted me since my dad's death a few years ago was learning the story behind the deaths of his siblings almost 60 years ago. I knew that they had died in a barn fire, but it didn't really hit home or sink in until my uncle told about how my dad felt responsible for it(since the siblings were mentally retarded, and he was constantly chasing behind his older brother putting out fires that he would start), and the fact that it happened the day before my dad turned 6. And felt that the small mennonite community held him responsible as well, no wonder my dad was never that close with his family, and it could explain a lot of other aspects of his personality as well. Just thinking about it right now makes me want to weep for that 6 year old celebrating his birthday with half of the family around the table, feeling blamed for why the other half was not there and never would be again.

w*n*c*a*m

Is it just me? When things like this happen, I am more interested with the killer than the victims. It's not like I don't feel bad for their loss. I do think that it's horrible and all. But after that, I ask a big "Why???" and then I start researching everything about the killer's personality, lifestyle, families, etc. I want to know what triggered him to do it. Was there a clue in the past that may show that this would happen eventually? Did he grow and act like normal people? Did he live in a violent environment? How did his parents raise him? ... something like that.

lilmutegirl

Is it just me? When things like this happen, I am more interested with the killer than the victims. It's not like I don't feel bad for their loss. I do think that it's horrible and all. But after that, I ask a big "Why???" and then I start researching everything about the killer's personality, lifestyle, families, etc. I want to know what triggered him to do it. Was there a clue in the past that may show that this would happen eventually? Did he grow and act like normal people? Did he live in a violent environment? How did his parents raise him? ... something like that.

I often wonder that, too, but I also realize sometimes things like this can't be predicted based on the killer's previous behavior...like all the times neighbors are interviewed and they're shocked because "he was such a nice guy." I think I want to know, as a parent, what I can do to avoid having my child grow up to be a monster, and also to protect him as much as possible. And the fact that sometimes people are randomly killed without any warning terrifies me.
I am generally more interested in the victims, though.

FallenFeathers

There is so much death and tragic events which occur so frequently, more so if you don't stick to state or government sponsored media and get a real glimpse into what's happening over the globe. But yeah I find myself worryingly not shocked or as affected the more I get older. It's not I don't care.. It does still sadden me, just sadly it does not surprise me.

The recent school shooting, and the School stabbings in China did hit me a bit harder though. I can't and wont ever accept any senseless violence to become normal to me, every life on this planet is valuable. but yeah when it's kids it's even more hard for me to accept and wrap my head round.

I can't say I take exceptional interest In the killer or try and put myself In the victims shoes. But what does really stand out for me is how some everyday normal people can act with such bravery in the face of death. Like what happened with Victoria Soto really makes me sit back and think, it also restores a little bit of faith in humanity for me.

lilmutegirl

I'm apparently having a lot of epiphanies about this...another reason I have trouble reconciling deaths is that there is no way to compensate. Especially since it's the holiday season, people are donating clothes and toys and such to underprivileged kids and families, but how are you supposed to help make someone's life better after their child has been murdered? There's no amount of material items or money that will remedy that.